Timeline of the Library at Wilmington College and the University of North Carolina at Wilmington

Edited by Adina Lack, UNCW Archivist

Introduction: This is an unofficial timeline, created by faculty and staff of William M. Randall Library in 1997. It was originally in the format of a banner that was displayed in the library to welcome the new University Librarian, Sherman Hayes. The text was transcribed, edited, and placed online in Spring, 2001.

Note: It is not necessarily a complete story of the library, but it does capture aspects of history as remembered and recorded by library employees at the time. Any errors made are the responsibility of the UNCW Archivist. Please contact the archivist (962-4233) if you have questions or corrections.

Highlights of Our History by Sue Ann Cody was a valuable reference for use in constructing this timeline.

 

1950

Circulation records kept in cardboard covered notebooks

 

1952

Full accreditation by Southern Association

 

1964

20,000 volumes in Library in October

 

1964-65

Wilmington College became a liberal arts college
Library had complete file of Chemical Abstracts
Library first requested status as government documents depository
44 titles borrowed through ILL

 

1965

Library converted from Dewey Decimal System to Library of Congress Classification in July
Library became partial depository for United States government documents.

 

1965-1967

Book collection doubled during this time

 

1969

Groundbreaking held for new library building
Library moved from the Edwin A. Alderman Administration Building to its own new building
William Madison Randall Library opened

 

1969-1970

40% increase in circulation
Marine Science Collection developed in anticipation of graduate program
Library was open 77 hours a week

 

1970-71

Collection surpassed 80,000
88 titles borrowed through ILL

 

April 1972

Collection = 100,000 volumes
Card catalog = 472 drawers

 

1972-73

Alton A. Lennon papers donated
Randall Library became Charter member of SOLINET

 

1973-74

Book budget = $16,000.
Subscriptions cost $17,000.
Government documents collection = 1603 linear feet

 

1975

Online cataloging via OCLC began in July

 

1976

Arlene Hanerfeld hired the first SPA employee to work the night shift in Reader Services (reference and circulation)

 

1977

A/V collection established

Gene Huguelet came to Randall Library

 

1978

Gene Huguelet began as Library Director

 

1983

Retrospective conversion from card catalog to online catalog began in December

 

1985

Retrospective conversion completed in July
Lana D. Taylor was hired as first African American librarian at UNCW

 

1987-88

A new integrated library automation system, LS-2000, was introduced
Collection = 300,000 bound volumes
Stopped filing cards in card catalog in fall 1987.

 

1988

Began using LS-2000 for circulation in January
Became full depository for North Carolina documents

 

1990

GOVDOCS subscription begin
US document records added to catalog
Louise Jackson, Head of Reference, won Governor's Award for Excellence, in recognition of performance of exceptional merit to the state of North Carolina.

 

1991-92

ILL borrowed 7,308
ILL loaned 3,774

11,082 items

 

1992-93

Stopped using LS-2000

 

1993

Acquisitions and Cataloging merged to form Technical Services

 

1993-94

Open 343 days ... 98.5 hrs./wk.

 

1994

Acquisitions was last module to migrate to INNOPAC, the new library automation system
Beginning in December, staff no longer had to type purchase orders

 

1995

Serials moved to Technical Services

 

1996

Lana D. Taylor retired in July.
In October, Technical Services started using newly purchased work station with Windows 95.
Randall Library entered the 70 millionth ILL request in the OCLC database in October.

 

1997

Sherman Hayes began as University Librarian on July 31, 1997.