- Get Help
- My Courses
- Using the Library
- Borrowing, Renewing & Fines
- Finding & Getting Materials
- Interlibrary Loan
- Computers, Printing & Copying
- Information for...
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tools & Widgets
- Library Spaces
- Reserve Group Study Room
- Floor Maps & Virtual Tour
- Learning Commons
- My Library Account
- About Us
Mission Statement and Goals
William Madison Randall Library supports the mission of the University by providing information resources and learner-centered services and by cultivating a rich physical and virtual environment dedicated to the open exchange of ideas and an information-literate community.
Approved by the Library Faculty, May 20, 2009
Inspiring, nurturing and satisfying intellectual and cultural curiosity.
Our Core Values:
Learning: We view learning as a public good for all, and as a continuous effort. We provide information resources, technology and appropriate spaces for learning, as well as guidance for learners. As a learning organization, we seek continuous improvement and innovation in our contributions to the university.
Service: We are dedicated to providing accurate, efficient and friendly assistance, and to assessing and responding to our users’ needs.
Access: We acquire, organize and preserve the cultural record, and make physical and virtual knowledge resources available to users in efficient and innovative ways.
Integrity: We base our standards for all interactions on respect for people and ideas, intellectual freedom, privacy, confidentiality and professionalism.
Diversity: We seek to provide resources and a climate for exploration of diverse cultures and opinions, with openness and inclusiveness for all people.
Approved by the Library Faculty, January 13, 2010.
Each of the library's goals is tied to the UNCW Strategic Goals. References at the end of each library goal are to these university efforts.
- To identify, select, acquire and preserve informational resources relevant to current and anticipated curriculum, scholarly practice, research, creative and leisure activities. ("Informational resources" is broadly defined to include text, images, sound, artifacts and other records of human knowledge.) (UNCW Strategic Goals I, II, III, IV, V, VII.)
- To establish, organize, and maintain effective bibliographic control of resources accessed through the library. (UNCW Strategic Goal I, V, VI.)
- To provide excellence in teaching users effective information seeking strategies, critical evaluation and use of informational resources; to guide users in the selection of resources to meet individual needs and to provide information upon request. (UNCW Strategic Goal I, IV, V.)
- To make optimum use of technology to provide access to remote information and improve internal processes. (UNCW Strategic Goal I, III, IV, V, VI.)
- To develop and promote efficient customized and individualized access to information for primary user groups. (UNCW Strategic Goal I, II.)
- To attract and retain employees dedicated to achieving the Library's service goals, and to provide opportunities for staff development and participation in planning and implementation of services. (UNCW Strategic Goal II.)
- To provide a safe, useful and inviting facility that serves as a central gathering place for the diverse teaching, scholarship and artistic activities of the university community. (UNCW Strategic Goal IV, VI.)
- To develop partnerships, consortia and cooperative methods with other libraries and organizations to acquire and share resources. (UNCW Strategic Goals I, II, IV, V, VII.)
- To ensure that the Library upholds the profession’s fundamentals of intellectual freedom and privacy for all users. In accordance with the Library Bill of Rights, the library will "provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues." In accordance with the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association, the library will "protect each library user's right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired or transmitted." (UNCW Strategic Goal I, III, V.)
- To encourage innovative and creative approaches for enhancing services and to provide effective administration and continuous assessment of all services. (UNCW Strategic Goal I, III, V, VII.)
Goals last updated, December 20, 2005.