- Get Help
- My Courses
- Using the Library
- Borrowing, Renewing & Fines
- Finding & Getting Materials
- Interlibrary Loan
- Computers, Printing & Copying
- Information for...
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tools & Widgets
- Library Spaces
- Reserve Group Study Room
- Floor Maps & Virtual Tour
- Learning Commons
- My Library Account
- About Us
Library of Congress Classification (LC)
Randall Library's materials are arranged according to the Library of Congress Classification Scheme and each item is assigned an individual call number according to the subject area the item falls under. Listed below is a brief subject outline of LC Classification and the corresponding base call number. Also included is a tutorial for reading and understanding the order of LC Call Numbers.
Reading Library of Congress Call Numbers
- Every Library of Congress (LC) call number begins with one to three letters, followed by various combinations of whole numbers, decimal numbers, and/or letters. Sometimes at the end of the call number will be a year, a volume number, and a copy number.
Items are arranged in alpha-numeric order, with single-letter call numbers shelved ahead of multiple letter call numbers with the same first letter.
Thus, H40 comes before HA1.
Numbers to the left of the decimal point in LC call numbers are whole numbers.
Thus, HF54 (HF Fifty-four) comes before HF5381 (HF Five-thousand, three-hundred, eight-one).
Numbers to the right of the decimal point in LC call numbers are decimal numbers.
Thus, HF5381 .M37 (M Thirty-seven hundredths) comes before HF5381 .M5 (M Five-tenths or Fifty-hundredths).
The following call numbers are in correct shelf order for the reasons given:
- GV1787 .D513
- H40 .A2 I5 - H comes after G alphabetically
- HA1 .D3 1989 - HA comes after H
- HA1 .D3 1990 1990 - comes after 1989
- HF54 .U5 P74 - HF comes after HA
- HF5381 .E52 - 5,381 is larger than 54
- HF5381 .M37 - M comes after E
- HF5381 .M5 - .5 (.50) is larger than .37
- HF5415 .S272 - 5,415 is larger than 5,381
- HF5415.1263 .B46 - 5415.126 is larger than 5415 (5415.0000)
- HF5415.2 .S89 - .2(.2000) is larger than .1263
Outline of the Library of Congress Classification