Resources for First Year Seminar Instructors
Welcome FYS instructors! On this page, you will find everything you need to help your FYS students with library and information literacy resources. Here is the PDF handout for FYS instructors: Library Resources for First Year Seminar
The Library Resources for First Year Seminar Students page can be found here: http://library.uncw.edu/guides/freshman_seminar. Everything your students need to complete the library and information literacy components will be on that page. Assign them that link and provide a due date for the completion.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to do for your library and information literacy components in your UNI/FYS class. You can also find documents in the Library folder on the Resources for UNI Instructors in Blackboard (Common Elements > Required Classroom Presentations > Library Presentation)
Questions? Contact Anne Pemberton, Associate Director, Research and Instructional Services and Library Assessment at pembertona [at] uncw.edu.
Required: BEFORE the library session, have students complete BUILD, the Virtual Library Tour and the quiz
Required: AFTER the library session, assign the CAARP Library Assignment
(#4 on the student page)
Optional: Assign a plagiarism Tutorial: https://www.indiana.edu/~plag/
Have your Seahawk Link give a face-to-face Randall Library Tour with this Tour Script
BUILD Information Literacy Tutorial & Virtual Library Tour (required)
- BEFORE the library session, students should complete the BUILD information literacy tutorial and the Virtual Library Tour.
- The link for the Virtual Library Tour is on the bottom of the BUILD information literacy tutorial homepage.
- After completion of these, students will be asked to take a quiz.
- You will receive and email automatically after they have completed the quiz with their score. It will come from "wiegandl" but each email will have the student's name on it and their score.
- Provide students with the URL for the "Library Resources for First Year Seminar Students" page which will provide all the instructions and links for these IL activities: http://library.uncw.edu/guides/freshman_seminar
CAARP Library Assignment (required)
- AFTER the library session, students should complete the CAARP “library assignment.” There is no automatic scoring or grade for this assessment/assignment, but you will receive an email when the students complete the assignment.
- Provide students with this URL so that they can complete the assignment: http://library.uncw.edu/guides/freshman_seminar
(#4 on the student page)
- Provide students with a number (1-25) for a "set" of resources they will evaluate. If you have more than 25 students, start over with "1".
- Provide a due date within two weeks after the library session for the students to complete the assignment.
Face-to-Face Tour of the Library (optional but encouraged)
- Have your Seahawk Link give a face-to-face tour of Randall Library
- Download the tour script for Link-led tours
- If your Seahawk Link would like assistance with giving a tour of the library, please contact Eva Sclippa (sclippae [at] uncw.edu (subject: LINK%20Tour%20Training) (Eva))
Plagiarism Tutorial & Quiz from Indiana University (optional but encouraged)
Schedule a Session
Please schedule your First Year Seminar Library Session by filling out this form. (Trying to schedule Transfer Seminar Library Sessions? Use this form instead.)
1. You should receive an email confirming your session within 3 days (72 hours) of your request.
2. Plan to attend the library session. Students take these sessions more seriously if their instructor is present. Furthermore, the session relies heavily on group work – your participation in facilitating group activities is appreciated.
3. If you have any comments or concerns, please include them in the “Is there anything else…” field below, or contact Eva Sclippa, First Year Engagement Librarian at sclippae [at] uncw.edu (subject: UNI%20101%20Form%20%2F%20Session) .
Taxonomy upgrade extras: