First Year Seminar (UNI) Instruction Sessions
Resources for First Year Seminar Instructors
Library Guide for First Year Students
Information for First Year Seminar Instructors
- Download information for instructors (.pdf) New handout for 2015-16 coming soon!
Library Instruction Session (required)
- Schedule your session using our web form
Student Learning Outcomes for Library Instruction Session:
At the end of the face to face library instruction session, the student will be able to:
- FYS SLO 1. List the differences between websites/broadcasts, newspapers, magazines, journals, and books.
- FYS SLO 2. Distinguish between popular and scholarly information resources.
- FYS SLO 3. Select the appropriate tool to find a book and an article on a particular topic.
- FYS SLO 4. Identify appropriate service points for assistance both in the library and via the library’s website.
- FYS SLO 5. Apply established evaluation criteria to determine if an information source is appropriate.
CRITIC Library Assignment (required)
AFTER the library session, students should complete the CRITIC “library assignment.” Provide students with this URL so that they can complete the assignment: http://library.uncw.edu/instruction/UNI_library_assignment
More information about the CRITIC assignment will follow for 2015-16
Tour of the Library (optional but encouraged)
- Give your students the link to the library's virtual tour
- If your LINK would like assistance with giving a tour of the library, please contact coatsl [at] uncw [dot] edu (subject: LINK%20Tour%20Training) (Lisa Coats)
- Download the tour script for LINK-led tours -- updated tour script will be posted shortly!
Plagiarism Tutorial & Quiz from Indiana University (optional but encouraged)
Schedule a Session
Please schedule your First Year Seminar Library Session by filling out this form.
1. You should receive an email confirming your session within 3 days (72 hours) of your request.
2. Plan to attend the library session. Students take these sessions more seriously if their instructor is present. Furthermore, the session relies heavily on group work – your participation in facilitating group activities is appreciated.
3. If you have any comments or concerns, please include them in the “Is there anything else…” field below, or contact coatsl [at] uncw [dot] edu (subject: Freshman%20Seminar%20Question) (Lisa Coats.)