- Get Help
- My Courses
- Using the Library
- Borrowing, Renewing & Fines
- Finding & Getting Materials
- Interlibrary Loan
- Computers, Printing, Copying & Scanning
- Information for...
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tools & Widgets
- Library Spaces
- Reserve Group Study Room
- Floor Maps & Virtual Tour
- Information Literacy Portal
- Learning Commons
- My Library Account
- About Us
First Year Seminar (UNI) Instruction Sessions
Resources for First Year Seminar Instructors
Library Guide for First Year Students
Information for First Year Seminar Instructors
Library Instruction Session (required)
- Schedule your session using our web form
Student Learning Outcomes for Library Instruction Session:
At the end of the face to face library instruction session, the student will be able to:
- FYS SLO 1. List the differences between websites/broadcasts, newspapers, magazines, journals, and books.
- FYS SLO 2. Distinguish between popular and scholarly information resources.
- FYS SLO 3. Select the appropriate tool to find a book and an article on a particular topic.
- FYS SLO 4. Identify appropriate service points for assistance both in the library and via the library’s website.
FYS SLO 5. Apply established evaluation criteria to determine if an information source is appropriate.
Library Chapter Quiz (required)
BEFORE the library session, require students to read the Randall Library textbook chapter (Chapter 16) and complete the Chapter 16 Quiz: http://library.uncw.edu/quiz/uni_101
The students will receive an e-mail with their quiz score upon completion. In the e-mail, they are instructed to forward the results to you for credit.
Library Assignment (required)
AFTER the library session, students should complete the “library assignment.” Please set the due date for this assignment to fall within two weeks after your library session. You will automatically receive an e-mail from each student once they have completed the assignment. It is up to you how you wish to assign a grade or provide participation points for completion. However, mandatory participation is crucial for the assessment process.
1. Assign each student a number from 1 to 25.
2. Assign a due date no more than 2 weeks after the library session.
3. Provide students with this URL so that they can complete the assignment: http://library.uncw.edu/instruction/UNI_library_assignment
Tour of the Library (optional but encouraged)
- Give your students the link to the library's virtual tour
- Information for Seahawk Links about touring the library (.pdf)
Download the tour script for LINK-led tours
Plagiarism Tutorial & Quiz from Indiana University (optional but encouraged)
Schedule a Session
Please schedule your First Year Seminar Library Session by filling out this form.
1. You should receive an email confirming your session within 3 days (72 hours) of your request.
2. Plan to attend the library session. Students take these sessions more seriously if their instructor is present. Furthermore, the session relies heavily on group work – your participation in facilitating group activities is appreciated.
3. If you have any comments or concerns, please include them in the “Is there anything else…” field below, or contact coatsl [at] uncw [dot] edu (subject: Freshman%20Seminar%20Question) (Lisa Coats.)