- Get Help
- My Courses
- Using the Library
- Borrowing, Renewing & Fines
- Finding & Getting Materials
- Interlibrary Loan
- Computers, Printing, Copying & Scanning
- Information for...
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tools & Widgets
- Library Spaces
- Reserve Group Study Room
- Floor Maps & Virtual Tour
- Information Literacy Portal
- Learning Commons
- My Library Account
- About Us
Monetary donations (including memorials) are gratefully accepted for enhancing the delivery of library services. The Library has in the past used gift funds for purchases of materials for the collection including equipment, supplies, and art works. Specific titles or items to be purchased with donated funds will be coordinated by the University Librarian. All monetary donations will be received by the University Librarian for appropriate handling, recorded through the office of University Advancement and acknowledged by the Library. You can give online directly through University Advancement by selecting "Library" for the gift designation.
Donations of Books and Other Materials (In Kind)
Books and other physical materials are gratefully accepted by the Library with the following stipulations:
- The Library will add to the collection only those titles that are considered appropriate in terms of its current Collection Development Policy. Materials in poor physical condition, textbooks, most popular magazines, and most obsolete formats (cassettes, LPs, VHS, etc.) are not accepted.
- The Library will assume authority to discard, sell, or exchange all titles deemed inappropriate for addition to the collection unless the donor requests return of said materials.
- The Library will determine how all added gift materials will be cataloged and/or housed for use.
- The donor must deliver all donated books and materials to the library loading dock entrance by appointment during regular business hours (8:00am-5:00pm).
- The Library cannot provide any pick-up, packing or shipping support unless the donor is willing to pay for these services (gas, packing materials, etc.).
- The donor must complete and submit the Donor Record Form at the time of donation.
- For Special Collections and/or Archives materials please contact those departments directly.
Acknowledgement of Donations
Each donation, monetary and otherwise, will be acknowledged by the Library after the donation has been received and processed. If requested, the Library will place a bookplate in each gift book added to the collection identifying the donor and will display an image of the bookplate in the library’s catalog record. The Library will donate a tree in the Leadership Grove on the UNCW campus to thank donors who have contributed materials valued at more than $10,000. Other special acknowledgements of donor generosity may be offered or requested depending on size of gift and type of material, such as room naming opportunities, plaques, special collections, and receptions.
The Library does not have the authority to make financial appraisals of donated materials. The Library is happy to work with donors to understand the appraisal process and can refer them to credible online book or materials sale websites and/or appraisers for services they desire. The Appraisers Association of America is also a good place to start (http://www.appraisersassoc.org/) (accessed November 1, 2010).
Questions about this policy should be addressed to Susannah Benedetti, benedettis [at] uncw [dot] edu, 910-962-4243.
Last Update: November 30, 2010