Randall Library Home

Graduate Theses

ETDs (Electronic Theses and Dissertations)

The Graduate School at UNCW requires Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETDs). All graduate students producing master’s theses or doctoral dissertations are required to follow the UNCW Graduate School Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Manual. Randall Library catalogs UNCW theses and dissertations in the Randall Library catalog and in Seahawk DOCKS, providing full-text Web access according to the conditions selected in the UNCW Graduate School Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (ETD) Form.


Some UNCW electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs) are restricted to local use only. Local use is defined as reading/viewing a thesis from an on-campus computer. Theses with this restriction have the following note in the online catalog record: Access to electronic thesis is limited to University of North Carolina Wilmington campus users.

Hard-Copy Theses, Dissertations and Final Projects
Graduate School Theses and Dissertations

With the Graduate School requiring ETDs, it no longer provides Randall Library with a printed copy for binding and housing in University Archives.

Graduate Liberal Studies Program Final Projects

The Graduate Liberal Studies Program (GLS) (http://www.uncw.edu/gls/curriculum-gls598.html) requires that each student submit three (3) copies of his/her final project for binding to the GLS Program Director. See the guidelines at http://www.uncw.edu/gls/curriculum-gls598.html#VII. The GLS Program Director will deliver the copies to be bound to spencerj [at] uncw [dot] edu (June Spencer-Francis) (910-962-4286) in the Technical Services Department of Randall Library. Please include copies of supplementary materials, i.e. slides, photographs, CDs, discs, videos, etc. All copies must be in correct page order. Library and bindery staff members do NOT check page order. After binding, one copy will be cataloged for the University Archives and another copy will be cataloged for the library's circulating General Collection. The third copy will be returned to the GLS office. The Library will pay binding costs for the two library copies and invoice Graduate Liberal Studies for their copy.

Departmental copy of Theses, Dissertations and Final Projects

Academic departments may want hard copies of theses, dissertations, or final projects for their own departmental collections. If so, students may follow the Guidelines for Printed Theses and Dissertations, which is linked from the Graduate School website, or the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (MALS) Final Project Instructions, which is linked on the GLS website.

Each department should appoint someone from the office (such as department chair, graduate coordinator, or departmental administrative assistant) to gather hard copies from students. Students shoul