Welcome to the William Madison Randall Library
Faculty/staff spouses may be issued a Borrower's Card without charge by visiting the Circulation Desk to get registered for the card.
How to borrow materials
When borrowing materials, please observe these regulations:
- Present the Randall Library Borrower's Card for each transaction.
- Borrowing privileges are not transferable, with one exception. High school students enrolled in grades 9-12 may be added as an authorized user to an adult parent's or guardian's borrower's card. By sponsoring their child, the parent or guardian assumes responsibility for the return of all materials and the payment of any charges assessed for damage or overdues. To check out materials, the high school student should present their parent's or guardian's borrower card and their high school identification card or driver's license at the Randall Library Circulation Desk.
- Borrowers are responsible for materials borrowed until they are returned to the Library and lost or damaged material must be paid for.
- There is no limit on the number of books that may be checked out from the General Collection. Items from the Featured new books, Videos, Music and Audiobooks collections are limited to 7 items checked out at any one time, in any combination (for example 4 videos, 3 music CDs).
- 28 days for books from the general and juvenile collections and for government documents.
- 21 days for books from the featured new books collection.
- For audiovisual materials is the loan period is 7 days.
- Reserve materials, reference items, and periodicals must be used in the building.
- Faculty and staff spouses may renew overdue materials online (access My Library Record,) by phone (910-962-3272), or in-person but if another person has placed a hold (request) on an item, renewal is not permitted.
- A/V Renewals: Renewals for videos, DVD's, CDs and audiobooks are limited to two (2) per item.
Featured New Books: Renewals for this collection are limited to one (1).
- Items in the Reserve Collection may not be checked out. These materials are in high demand for students enrolled in UNCW courses.
- No holds (i.e. requests for items already checked out) are allowed.
- You are not eligible for UNCW's Interlibrary Borrowing services. Please use your local public library for this service.
- Faculty/staff spouses are not eligible for laptop, equipment or eReader checkout.
The library does not charge fines but borrowing privileges may be revoked if a user continually has overdue books.
If items are not returned or renewed, bills will be issued for items that are at least 45 days overdue. The bill will include the replacement cost and a $15 non-refundable billing fee per item. If items are returned to the Library within two months after a bill has been issued, a waiver of the replacement charge(s) may be requested but the non-refundable billing fee(s) will not be waived.
Payment of Charges
Payment may be made by check, cash (exact change only) or with Visa and MasterCard at the Circulation Desk. Checks should be made out to UNCW.
Please inquire at the Research Help Desk for assistance in using the Library. We hope that you will enjoy using the Randall Library.
Questions about this policy maybe addressed to brownmd [at] uncw.edu (Dawn Brown)johnsonjj [at] uncw.edu (, )Circulation Supervisor.