Transfer Student Services Librarian
Research and Instructional Services
Department & Unit Liaison:
Isaac Bear Early College
Primary contact librarian for
- Transfer Students (including veteran students and Isaac Bear Early College)
- Theatre Students (research guides)
Schedule a Meeting
I'm glad to meet with you face-to-face in the library, on the phone, or virtually over UNCW Webex. Schedule a meeting with me using the widget below, or email me at ivinst [at] uncw.edu (subject: Appointment%20request) .
Teaching & Research Philosophies
- I believe finding sources that are "good enough" is not enough. We should strive to find best & most insightful sources that inform us about a topic and with which we can engage/argue/agree with.
- I believe that it is not enough to communicate well. Communication is meaningless if we have nothing of value to share, including uninformed opinions. Research is how we learn more about a topic & the views of others, which allows us to shape our own opinions into something of value to communicate.
- I believe that I was an idiot when I was an undergraduate student, because I never asked a librarian for help on my research.
- MSLS, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2011
- B.S.,Theatre/Classical Studies, Davidson College NC, 2007
- Adult Transitional Theory and Transfer Shock in Higher Education: Practices from the Literature. Reference Services Review, 45(2) 2017. emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/RSR-08-2016-0048
- [accepted for publication] 15 Years Later: Considering the ALA/CIPA Dispute Through Uncertainty Reduction Theory. North Carolina Libraries, 75(1) 2017. Full text will be available from the North Carolina Library Association: ncl.ecu.edu/index.php/NCL/index.
- Upcycling MSLS Coursework into Publishable Content. Endnotes: The Journal of the New Members Round Table, 5(1) 2014. Full text available from the ALA-NMRT: ala.org/nmrt/oversightgroups/comm/schres/endnotesvol5no1/endnotesvol5.
- A Case Study of Periodical Use by Library and Information Science Students. JELIS, Journal of Education in Library and Information Science, 5(2) 2013. Full text available from ERIC: files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1074104.pdf.