Nicholas W. Schenck Diary — Section 2 of 5 (prev/next) 
Page 31

Ada B- named for my eldest sister - Adaline F- born - January 12 - 1864 - about midnight - Dr. Joseph H. Dickson - officiating - now living in the "Ellis House" - on Nun Street - Wilmington NC - Empie Gibbs and wife Josephine - living part of the time in Clinton and sound - now moved and lived in the north part - on the hills - beyond Chadbourn Mill - Josephine taken with fever - was removed to my house - attended by Doctors Munsey and Freeman ( ) - long spell of old time bilious fever - faithfully nursed by Mary and every comfort - made possible - contributed - recovered and lived under my roof - fully 18 mos and in addition - Empie's Negro woman and child - and stable his horse - in lot - All lived happily-

Mr. Morris and wife - Caroline and Maggie - Richard and ( ) and Bettie Lelia - Jno. R.C. - in Army - Sue married - Mr. Morris moved to the sound - early in the year - (Wrightsville) - self - Mary and children went down in July 1864 to spend 10 days - resulted in my renting Dr. Cultan's 3 room cottage - (200 yards from Mr. Morris) - $25.00 - for mo. In Confederate money and staying till early in November. I had a rising on my foot - from sun and salt water - Got 60 days furlough - on ( ) - Gen. Whiting allowing me to go and come - to town - or sound - as I pleased - with orders to attend and see business - was OK - Capt. Drane resigned in 1863 - to become Superintendent of Wilmington- Manchester to RR - and I was appointed and commissioned - by A.( ) - and assumed charge at once - by special order - Gen. W.H.C. Whiting -Major General - Department of North Carolina - Jonathan A. Taylor and N.N. Nixon in my bond 60.000- Title Captain - A.C.S. - Confederate Army.

Note - Yellow fever - prevailed at New Bern N.C. - Sept and Oct - 1864- New Bern NC in hands of US troops - garrisoned by 44th Mass - 3rd Mass - 25th Mass - 17th Mass - 132 N. York - 15 Conn 3rd New York - 2nd Mass - and some NC renegade troops - 51 Penn - about 1300 deaths - largely of soldiers - fever came by vessels from Sp. West Indies - by 10 Oct - city was almost deserted - see "Great Epidemic New Bern and records - Sept - Oct 1864 - by W.S. Benjamen"

Page 32

Came to town from Wrightsville Sound - moved up - about the 10th November 1864 - in our carry-all (with 2 mules and driver - we brought to town Mrs. Alice Lippert and her daughter Mary - and Mary and 3 children - and servant girl - Fire occurred in Dave Worth's stable - night of Nov 30th - about 9 PM - before midnight our house was destroyed with some others - moved every thing only lost one silver spoon and some crockery broken. Mrs. Gov. Dudley and her daughter - Caroline Cowan Green - living on diagonal corner - gave us shelter for the night and we lodged with them for four days - until we could move in Mrs. Morris house - then vacant - On that night I was writing up my returns - Mary had retired and so had 3 children - Fire was cried - we were in Mary's room - when the servant girl raised the window and said the fire is right here - Worth's stable 100 feet away - was in full blaze - Engines were slow - water scarce - fire had it sweep for a time - I delayed moving - our house having tin roof - till the glass in windows began to pop - when Uncle P.W.F. and Cousin Robert Wood - advised moving - on request Gen. Bragg - detailed a guard - the moved was made across the street - into Dudley lot and next was Mr. Morris - housed and guarded by military - till key came from sound and we moved in - Ada was- 11 months old - sleeping in bed - I wrapped her in a blanket - Mary looked after Minnie and Lyda - with the servant - Mrs. Green came over and insisted on our going to her Mother's house - and there we soon landed - Mrs. Green giving up her room - Mary returned with me to the house - leaving children in charge of Mrs. G. - went to work packing valuables for a move - friends soon came and I locked the doors -

Page 33

admitting only a few - this prevented the "Rabble" from coming in - saved our effects - Mr. Morris and family came to town later - I moved to the (Jim) Gardner house - and in February - 1865 - Uncle Nixon and Aunt Nixon - (came from Laurinburg NC - where he and family and Negroes had refuged) and insisted on our moving into her large brick house - (Chestnut Street) - to protect his property - we moved -

Fort Fisher had been attacked by Federal Fleet and troops under Gen. B. F. Bullar - Christmas Day 1864 - Uncle Sam renewed the attack in force in January 1865- and after fierce bombardment and assault - carried the works - this was bringing the "War" near home - hence - on eve 22 Feb - 1865 - Wilmington was evacuated - My duty was to follow "our flag" though many did not - so I said - Good bye and kisses to Mary and my jewels - Minnie - Lyda and Ada - and left - About 6 PM - en route - via Lilly Bridge - to the North East ferry - and crossed the river on pontoons near midnight and escaped miles beyond - my first - night slept - on the ground - blanket wrapped - with me was Capt. McKinney - Albert Baldwin - Zander Swann - son Dr. Jno. and 2 Negro men - Ned Moore - (afterward Capt E.J. Moore) had a furlough to go to his wedding - at Jno. ( ) Brown- up the Cape Fear - to marry - _____Brown - a daughter of Asa A. Brown - as agreed he met me - at Goldsboro - Capt. McKinney and Baldwin - family having gone to Fayetteville N.C. and rumor of trouble there from the Yankee soldiers - by permission - left me - taking the overland route for Fayetteville - N.C. - On moon rise - night Feb 22 - our forces had a sharp skirmish - with the Federal Negro Troops - that had been pushed against us on our retreat - Many Negroes - were killed and wounded and did not cross N. East River - after in pursuit -

Page 34

Next day Major Reed put me in command 10,000 Federal prisoners - (so said) - which had been run down to our lines - in certification of exchange and delivery to Federal officers - the Yankee Gen in command - said at war no time to attend to prisoners - but our order from Gen. U.S. Grant - over ruled and the men were run into Wilmington- N.C. - later by ships to New York. Next day - continued retreat - about sunrise - after our camp breakfast - saw Gen Bragg and some of his staff coming up our road - it was proposed to ask the Gen. to indulge us a glass of good cheer - He readily accepted - gave us his thanks and best wishes and rode on - with others - ordered to report at Magnolia - N.C. - started with a line long of mules - drays - wagons and servants - reached a school house - after dark - in the ( ) was - over 40 - white and black - big fire made - good supper - and soon all hands were stretched on the floor - all had blankets - Negro servant to keep up fire -

I recall Dr. Josh Walker - (he was instrumental in my being sent along) - Rev. W. (Chaplain) - Guilford Dudley - Capt. Huggins - Capt Kit Styron - my clerk Swann - early start after breakfast - brought in to Magnolia - order came to me to report to Goldsboro N.C. - next train carried me and I reported to Major Morrison - (brother to Mrs. Stonewall Jackson) - he assigned me to light duty - provided quarters with Capt. Mure -

While in Goldsboro - our forces had fight at Kinston and brought in 1500 prisoners - orders came from Gen. Braxton Bragg - to take train provisions? - ( ) - ( ) and with guard - started and side tracked at Rose Hill - for the night - one of the guard - a boy 18 - came to me and said Captain - my parents live here - and took permission to go stay all night - after consulting Sargent in command - allowed him to go - he soon came back with message from his father and mother - to come to supper and spend the night - accepted and was well received-

Page 35

Daily start next morning - reached Selma (then Mitchner's Depot) - when I had orders to unload - take the railroad depot - and any and all buildings necessary for this end -"Establishing a Depot of Supplies" - I found Maj. Gen. Bate - with a Tennessee command -(part of Hook's army)- tented in the woods near by - called on Gen.- showed orders - and he gave me all the help asked for - while I gave him - many good things - among others coffee and sugar ( a rarity to soldiers in that day) - The Gen. and his staff - were soon my fast friends -

The detail of 20 men - under sub officers - soon reported and in few hours - had the RR warehouse - cleared and train unloaded and stored - the county RR agent - was at first disposed - not to comply - but I soon told him don't compel me to use force - we can get along nicely - but I must carry out my orders - so I had the unclaimed put in warehouse - carefully stored - the Agent next day vacated his dwelling and moved over to Smithfield - a mile or so away - and requested me to occupy his house - I made it my Head Quarters and sleeping apartment for self and clerks - "Ned Moore" had returned and with "Swann" and 2 Negroes - work going on - In a day or so - called an officer - then introduced himself as Major Morse of Gen. Jos. E. Johnson staff - saw my orders and next day - called again with new orders from Gen. Johnson - as Gen Bragg had been retired..

Major Moore invited me to his tent - in the woods near by - and set out his best - our business thereafter was harmonious and he took much interest in me - told me - he wished his - subordinates - A.C.S - had the go and verve - I had - I put him on many bags of corn and fodder stacks and ( ) - and we had plenty to eat - man and beast - we remained here -say March 1 - till after battle of Bentonville N.C. - Sunday April 1865.

Page 36

Going back on my narrative - while in Goldsboro - I was ordered to take train of cars - Walter McRae (Col. Jno.son) in charge - and go down the road as far as Magnolia or farther and collected and bring away - all the supplies - being the Tax (as) kind - stored at Depots and etc - Remember the Confederate Congress - passed a law - assessing a 10% Tax - on all the farmers products (corn - grains - potatoes etc) instead of a money tax - as this products were gathered and stored at most convenient points - especially at Depot points - I established my Head Quarters - at Magnolia - with (Love) - stayed at his house - in addition - I was to impress all the Mills - and corn ground into meal - and to those work night and day and ship as fast as possible - I was about 2 weeks at this work - while at Magnolia - Col. James G. Burr - skeleton regiment was there - Charles D. Myers - Adgt. - what there was of this Regiment came out of Wilmington - on evacuation - 22 Feb 1865 - I recall others W.L.Smith Lt. Col - Capt. Alex McRae Jr. - Dr. A.G. Bradley - Surgeon and privates - DM McRae - Charles E. Burr - Joseph McLaurin - George W. Rose - Jas. Ryan - and others - It was - Infantry - but from the number of horses - wagons and vehicles - anything ( ) as there were more of the latter - than officers and men - A Falstaffer Comm. - Col.Burr's Regiment - was sort of a home guard - and contained almost every available man who could carry a gun - all the exempts from conscription - but when it came to taking the field - not one in forty - went out - stayed at home - after Fisher fell - the cause was considered "Lost" - and the end came very soon - Lee followed in April - Hood was badly whipped in Tenn. - Joe Johnson - concluded his peace in late April - my parole was signed Greensboro- May 1 - 1865 - and soon homeward bound - I think everybody was glad - when end came - at that time - The Confederacy had made a good long fight ( ).

Page 37

There was plenty of work at Selma Depot - cars coming almost every hour - with supplies - some to unload - others to go to Raleigh and so on - troops began to come - and soon we had it said an army of 30,000 men - of all branches - Infantry - Calvary - Artillery- etc. Gen. Johnson had a grand review and it was a fine sight - Sherman's Army had replied at Greensboro - and made some move against Johnson - Gen. Blair - was coming towards the East - as of Gen. Sherman's army corps - Kilpatrick was raiding - one Gen.Wade Hampton - met his K Comm. and a fight near Fayetteville - Gen. Johnson determined to attack some moving command - "Blair" - (I think) the conflict began at or near Bentonville NC - in April - on a Sunday morning - we could hear the guns very distinct at Selma - Johnson drove them back miles - but over powering numbers came out - Johnson retreated - Zach Ellis killed - body never found - Col. Jno.D. Taylor - lost his right arm - Capt. R.G. Rankin and other of McRae battalion wounded and died of wounds - as this Battalion ( ) suffered heavily- I administered all comfort in my power - while he rested - badly wounded at Selma Depot. Afterward convoyed to Raleigh - where he died at home of Col. D.K. McRae - I happened to be in Raleigh and attended his burial - short time Johnson - gave orders and in few days - the troops were en route - via highway - a foot to Raleigh N.C. - Major Moore - had intended for me to be ready to move - soon he gave me orders to take my 3 (teams) and stop at a "Big Oak Tree" - fork of road - east side of Neuse River - and there await his Major Moore orders - by 3 PM - troops had all passed and no order from Major Moore - country around was quiet - becoming anxious - I dispatched Capt Ned Moore ( up the road?) -

Page 38

to find Major Moore - and ask him for orders - as to good luck - Ned Moore returned in an hour - found Major Moore - brought his apologies - with "orders" to return to Selma Depot - turn over my stock wagon to Quarter master - take train next day and report - to Greensboro N.C.-

Here was relief - nights rest - next day reported to Capt. Wm.( ) (N.O. Command) - who after wards turned to be an old school mate at Jesse Mulock school 1840/46 - Wilmington NC - and had moved to New Orleans and joined the Army in 1861 - Every thing being cleaned up -cars all loaded - "Quirk" told me be prepared to leave about noon - time came - all things ready - all aboard - just ready to start - when in the distance - could be seen a man and woman in a buggy - horse on run and the man waving his hat - I said to Quirk - "let us see what that means" and waited - soon drove up an officer - lady and baby - who soon saluted me - "Captain just the man I want to see" - This proved to be Col. Jno. Anderson - in command Regiment "Junior Reserves" - boys 12 to 17 - the lady his wife - daughter Honorable Jas. Dobbins - former Secretary of U.S. Navy - under ___ and their infant daughter - "Lizzie" - 1st child - about 6 mos old- Col. Anderson requested me to see Mrs. Anderson and child - safe at Raleigh N.C. - In a few minutes we were off - Mrs. A - expressed her good luck - now our accommodations was a box car and possibly bags of corn meal for seats - black - dirty - smoked - and a jolty ride - but we arrived in Raleigh before dark - and I saw Mrs. Anderson and child - safe among her friends - I later met Col. And Mrs. Anderson in Brooklyn - and later Miss Lizzie as a young lady - saw - invited and entertained Mrs. Anderson (after death Col. Jno.) - she was 1st cousin to Annie Holmes Schenck - my wife- as Annie father "Owen" and Mrs. Dobbins were sisters - home before the war - Fayetteville NC

Page 39

After leaving Raleigh - we were blocked at "Company Shop" (for 3 days) and side tracked - There Williams Blanks and I met - and we arranged to have our meals at a Negro woman's home near by - I furnished the stores - Immense piles of stores - were here - outdoors - piles of meat - N.C. hams, etc -flour - "sugar" - candies - coffee - etc - it did look so strange that Lee's men had suffered heretofore - so much from hunger - and here was tons of food going to waste - bad management somewhere - where this vast amount had been brought from I do not know - it looked now - as though it would fall into the hands of the raiders - or be given to the torch - we were on our "retreat" - still the enemy were not pressing us - perhaps they could not - outside of "Stoneman" and "Kilpatrick" calvary raids - we had little to fear - and they the enemy - were always "scared" - over cautious and mild charges first and get a ways - first news of danger - pursuit- Finally track was cleared and we reached Greensboro - sleeping in our clothes for a week - seldom water to wash face or hands - dirty cars - dirty quarters - no chance for clean clothing or bath - as the rest of our companies - from General - down to Private - I don't believe there was a man - but what had "lice" - these body lice - about the size and shape of a "grain of rice" - sharp at both ends - with a spot on the back - while at Selma - with Moore and Swann - we went to a pool - clean rockwater daily - soaped from head to heels - put on clean undergarments - shirts, etc - and we never could get rid of the "varmints" every day they were there - a mutual hunt and killing and (cracking) - for me I fought them - but sad to say - brought some home - on my return about May 12 - 1865 - Mary burnt up all my belongings and by others means - and new clothes - was at last "free" - they (infested) the New York and Brooklyn city cars.

Page 40

At Greensboro - N.C. - I met Jo Russell - he kindly looked after my comforts and we soon carried me to his quarters - and was made very comfortable - we were so lucky as to get the rooms vacated by some Naval Officers - they leaving cushions, etc - which we used for beds. Capt. Jonathan M Walker - turned up a few days later and begged me to take him in - Russell agreed - and we all lodged at Dr. - rooms - and a colored woman - cooked for us - I furnish the food -

Reported to Head Quarters - Major Moore brought me an order as one of 3 - A.C.S. - to act at Greensboro - but in consequence of my previous record and duty - Gen. Johnson ordered I need not report for duty - till called upon- Hence I was free to do as I wished - Later - I had orders to proceed to Charlotte - N.C. - receive from the Navy Department - a train load of coffee - and bring it to Greensboro - I started one afternoon - at Jamestown - found tracks torn-up and bridges burnt - being only a few miles to High Point - I footed it - arrived after dark - could find no accommodations - so I slept all night - on someone's piazza - next day - I met an officer - who I had entertained at Selma - then home on furlough - as citizen ( ) - who took me to his home - and gave me bed and board - free -

It was impossible to proceed by rail - then - because no locomotive - meeting Adam Empie, Esq - an old Wilmington friend - he was refuging at High Point - insisted on my making my stay with him - with thanks I change quarters - Adam and Mrs. Empie made me very comfortable - I think they had only 2 children at that time -

In 2 days - the Charlotte train arrived - it proved to have the "coffee" aboard - I show my orders to Naval officer in charge - he said come aboard - I must follow my orders and deliver coffee at Greensboro - and so we journey together - I make my report and was ordered to "rest" - I did-

Page 41

I had occasion to visit Salisbury N.C. - under orders - and went to hotel - stayed all night - after breakfast - ( ) - I could go on - called at office to pay for lodgings and fare - clerk said "one dollar and twenty-five" - I handed out a five dollar Confederate bill - he shoved it back - saying - only species taken- I told him I was Confederate Officer- traveling under orders - and had no other money - but Confederate - and regretted - stopping at the hotel - what should I do - He said well - "send it to me later" - that was in April 1865 - now - 1905 - money not sent -

While in Greensboro - Jo Russell took his meals at Britlow Hotel - Mr. Britlow proprietor - "closed his doors" - at arrival of every train and put up placard -"Hotel Closed" - Russell and I went in and out - through the back way - "Britlow" said he could not run Hotel on - "Confederate Money" - These were the "ragged end" days of the Confederacy - and just before final collapse - News of "Lee's surrender" came in by escaped prisoners - but was not believed - however the sad truth was soon made manifest.

"Armistice" between Gen. Johnson and Sherman - which Secretary of War Ed. M. Scranton - soon disaffirmed and ordered "Sherman to move against Johnson and capture his army" - Before the Expiration of the Armistice - our men "began to leave - without leave" - and desert in squads - as they had no idea - of capture and prison life at - Yankee Prisons - "Point LeRout?" - "Johnson Island" - "Elmira" and other Death Hotels - far better to die - fighting - in hot blood - than endure the horrors - of "scant food" - "death line" - "freezing to death" - as thousands of our men - had so suffered and died - Gen. Grant - came to our relief and by surrender - ordered and gave same terms - as he had given to Gen. R. E. Lee - But it was too late - thousands of our men had gone - taken the roads - a foot - armed - bound for their homes - land ( )-

Page 42
and away - hence our surrendered forces - were small.

My clerks - "Moore and Swann" - ask permission ro leave - I could not grant it - but they took "leg bail" and departed - Major Joseph Sloan - my chief - advised me to remain and said "he hoped all officers - would remain and get - Parole" - Maj. Sloan obtained mine - dated - Greensboro NC - May 1 - 1986 - (Since lost or some place among my papers)-

Now comes an anxiety - to get home - Capt. Jno. M. Walker - had a white horse - and a Negro servant and buggy - War over - it was necessary for the boy - to stay with the horse - night and day - to keep the soldiers from taking him off - Things broke loose and there was some - looting of Government stores - food and clothing - a few rounds of bullets and 2 or 3 killed - put a quietus on that work - our own men. The worst whipped man - of the entire army - that I saw - was Gen. Beauregard - as he was sitting on a crosstie - with hands at his face - and an expression of despair - Exchanged kind words with officers of an Ohio command. Everyone seemed happy at the words "Peace and war over" - one officer said to me - "we are just as tired of this thing as possible and glad it is over"-

Having our Paroles - we had to wait several days before - a chance came to leave - Walker was bound for "Chapel Hill" - his home and must take his horse - without money - what was to be done - for a livery - permission was obtained to allow horse - buggy and boy - loaded on flat car - and to be put off at Hillsboro Station - and arranged to start at noon - while seated on the same flat car - with horse -etc - an officer gave orders -"clear these cars - wanted for troops" - here came a disappointment - and another delay - no knowing how long - I proposed to Walker to see the officer in command - but he said "no" - so I said I would see him - I soon found Col. _________ - Yankee officer in command - stated our case - told him we were Paroled Confederate Officers - wanting to go home, etc - He kindly called an aid and gave orders for our cars - with horse - buggy and boy and ourselves - to be carried on in next train - which he said would leave at 3 PM - so we were fixed - and at 3 PM - pulled out of Greensboro - bound for Hillsboro -NC. That Yankee Engineer - speeded that train at some run - a mile a minute - and I expected

Page 43

every moment to be "ditched" - "wounded" or "killed" - Walker's horse - danced and pranced and kept in motion all the time - he could not jump over the siding of car - being securely haltered and tied - it was a " ride" - and I was happy when the 41 miles were covered and we were safely aground at Hillsboro - now we made fire and camped on the open ground for the night-

Next morning - hitched up and drove to Dr. Norwood's Plantation a mile away - Dr. Norwood and family welcomed us and we had a fine breakfast and started on our way to "Chapel Hill" - over county road before 8 AM - as I help - I gave Walker - meal - flour - meat - etc at Greensboro - all we could pile in the buggy - besides Walker had his "saddle" - "Negro boy" behind - thus we made slow going along - The country was full of Yankee soldiers - it was under ( ) -hostilities had ceased - but troops were being placed - as "safe guards" - at different points - We met one Yankee Cavalryman - mounted and armed - who coming up with us said "Hollow - I'd like to have that saddle ?junior got there" - Walker was silent - I said - "that's ours and we can't part with it" - he rode on - we were ( ) - as we drove on and neared Chapel Hill - we met 2 countrymen - just from Chapel Hill - inquiring the news - they reported - "Chapel Hill filled with soldiers - "playing the devil" - "tearing up everything" - "killing stock" - "chaos" and "things wild" - "don't go there" - they said - trouble there -Capt. Walker was scared - the Negro was pale - Walker says - "We will veer off and go to Dr. Wm. Mallett plantation - so as to hide the horse, etc" - "Must save the horse to make a crop" - arrived at plantation - old darky (who Walker knew ) -said "Mrs John - them people been here - and search over everything in the place" - "No place here to hide the horse" - "Dem soldiers - search every where"- "you can't hide nothing but what they will find" - Walker was despondent - what shall we do - I said - Capt. Walker I believe those countrymen were lying - I don't believe a word they say made to any

Page 44

depositions by the soldiers - let us drive right in and into Chapel Hill - we have our Paroles - which they are bound to respect - So we drove back and soon in main road - as we were on the surrounding hills - overlooking Chapel Hill - we could see - camps of soldiers - descending the hills we came to - Dr. Wm. ( ) mill - were was stationed a Yankee sentinel - a safe guard - He informed me the General Head Quarters - was just beyond and near the road - so we drove on - Walker's fright - came again - and said "Please so and see - if there is any trouble ahead".

So I got out of the buggy and made my way to the General's tent - ushered in - made salute and found a crowd of officers - explained who we were - (Walker and I) - and said we had been told - there was some rioting in Chapel Hill - and ask if there was any danger in our going on and as our friends were in C. Hill and ( ) house - He smiled and said "Captain - go ahead as there is no trouble at all" - Thanking him - Walker and I kept on our journey - as we passed along the road - we exchanged salutes - with the ( ) - and soon reached Walker's house - Everything was as quiet and calm and peaceful - as a Sunday morning - and just as I had thought - "the Lying Countrymen"-

I have found - the best method to solve some reported findings of danger or apprehension - was to push ahead - face it - meet it - and find out the truth - this means would solve - many of our "ghost stories" - and prove the falsity of many reported things - so many people are given to exaggerate reports and magnify small things - an excusable knowledge of lying - so they think

At Cousin John's house - (Chapel Hill- NC) was his wife Cousin Jimmie Gibbs and Mrs. Mag (Webber) - (John's sister) and some children - met Dr. A.J.DeRosett and wife - Major Graham Davis and wife Alice - Wm. A. Wright and family - Walker Meares and family - At Dr. Wm. ( ) - Mrs. Marietta Walters - Cousin Anna Mallett - (Peter's wife) - also living there - keeping house - Cousin Annie had just had an infant son - (which boy I don't now place) - this was in May 1865.

Page 45

I had an experience at Chapel Hill - first news from Wilmington - had heard many wild rumors - letters from Mary - had received my letters - letter from Uncle P.W.F. - with draft for $50.00 in Gold This draft proved an "Elephant" - as no one could give value for same - I consulted Dr.DeRossett - he told me -"he did not believe there was $50.00 in gold in Chapel Hill" - "Useless effort to try for the exchange"- was sick with a sort of diarrhea - no appetite - and little right kind of food - that I liked - while John was a kind as possible - here came the "tea episode" - at Cousin John's table - but those who knew of Cousins Jimmie parsimony - can well imagine - the incident - and of the small - thimble tea - pot and one small cup only - for only one (John) - and no one else - John passed it over to me - the tea-pot had given out - failed - there was no more - why said John - "Jimmie, Capt. S.- needs a cup of tea" - Anxious to move towards home - Walker Meares called and said he was going to make a start for Wil. in the morning and invited me to a seat in his wagon - early next morning - Dr. DeRossett and wife drove up to Walker (they were en route to Hillsboro) - Doct said - "Nick I have come to hand you $10.00 - to help you along" - I thanked him and asked as to its return - He said "Pay my sister - Mrs. Kennedy after you reach Wilmington"- Walker Meares and I started - from Dr. Wm. Mallets house - Mrs. Walker came out and in saying good-bye - "Aint you afraid to go - I hear of so many shooting and killings in the country" - That was poor comfort - my mind was made up - we reached the rail road and train came a crowded in - among Yankee soldiers and Negroes and Negro wenches - a horrid crowd - The dawn of the "dream of equality" was beginning to show itself - among the Negro - as taught by the soldiers - in word and act - we could do no better - so must bear the disgust - Reached Raleigh - near mid-night. I had "carte blanc" from M. Whitaker (Thad W. father- husband of Sue Morris) who lived at R. - to make his house my home and stop with him - whenever in Raleigh - Walker Meares - insisted on my going with him to Col. T.C. McIlhennys- so I consented and we walked a long distance - through

Page 46

sleeping and silent Raleigh - (May 1865) - now and then passing a Yankee sentinel- We did not see Mrs. McI - Col. Tom was away - servant made a bed for us - on parlor floor - soon abed - asleep - well tired out - traveling and working and walking since 6 AM - (18 hours) - we intended to rise early and come away - but Mrs. McI - blocked our game - by having hot breakfast at 6 AM - Leaving our thanks - we must move on - I afterwards learned from Col. Tom that his wife was confined - a son born - and hence our not seeing her - I knew Mrs. McI as a girl Margaret Dudley - youngest daughter of Gov. Ed. B. Dudley - raised - schooled and married in Wilmington NC-

We (Meares and I) pushed on - met Dave Pigott - Dave said he would join us - that he had $100 dollars in gold - and would put it in the pot - I had the $10.00 gold Dr. DeRossett had loaned me - Meares said he had not one cent - in negotiable money - Now three in party - went to State Capitol - Head Quarters - showed papers - obtained transportation to Goldsboro NC - taking our chance to catch a train. Later met "Harvey" - of New Bern NC - in charge of train to be returned to New Bern - Invited and insisted on our taking passage with him - Almost too happy for such a chance - accepted and in short time - en route - arrived at Goldsboro - NC - late afternoon - town garrisoned by Negro troops - found a boarding place - "W. Barfield" and later the landlady - was a Wil. girl - Miss Ballard - daughter of Jethro Ballard- who had lived opposite our Wil. house - knew her and her people - for years before -

Provost Officer in charge - informed me train would go to Wilmington - next day - about 9 AM - I sent telegram to Uncle PWF (cost one dollar) - left Goldsboro - next day - arrived in Wil. - about May 12th - Mary and children - M. - L. and Ada - Mr. Louis N. Barlow - wife and family - had moved in as help and protection - and they had house full of Yankee officers and clerks as boarders - there was no escape from this - Mary had entertained - the first of the officers - Generals staff - so soon as Wilmington

Page 47

had been occupied - (Feb 23 -1865) - This had been advised by Uncle Fanning - Cousin Richard Bradley and others - as means of protection - I had provided ample stores - meat - flour - sugar - salt - lard - coffee -tea - candles - to last for many months - besides several thousand oak barrel staves - which Uncle Nixon - gave to be used as firewood - "Becky" - our cook - slave of Aunt Susan left at once so soon as enemy arrived - though she promised me - she would stay with Miss Mary - and I was to pay her for services - the nurse girl remained and stayed - Barlow brought his old cook - Aunt Mary (slave) -who was faithful - sickness was among the boarders and Mary was broken down - in nursing and attention - One young man - was very thankful and wrote to Mary - after he went home - North - she had nursed him and he had recovered - One fellow - a Canadian - a surgeon - U.S. Officer - skipped his board - owing $60.00 dollars - every one was polite to me and then - (May 1865) moved harmonious -

I had to - go into a bath and scrub - bought new underclothes - and new blue suit -( ) -Yankee ( ) - complete new outfit - burned up all my old clothes - that I brought home in my trunk. This became necessary - to get rid and kill out - those body "villains" - the natural inheritance of war and camp life in the field.

I was in funds - as Mayor Jno. Dawson - had letter from William Bromley and Uncle Wm. Fanning - with 150.00 dollars in green backs - urging our immediate coming North - this was the first "news" or letter from "kin in the North" - since - May1861- Ports opened and best way was passage by sea - Harris and Howell were agents for steamer (" ? ") - stateroom - 3 berths - 90 dollars - not restricted as to numbers - I engaged usage - Mrs. A.W. Hewlett - widow - who was Jane Withersberry of Cazanosia NY - a friend of my mothers - hearing we were going to New York - called to see "Mary" -

Page 48

in a private interview with me - she told me - "she desired to go home" - (Cazanosia - New York) - and if she could get to NY city - she had friends there - she confessed to having so little money - as unable to pay passage to New York - and she had come to know - if she could be of any services to Mrs. S. - help her with the children - and ask could I arrange to have her share our stateroom - Mrs. Hewlett said she was a good sailor and never sea-sick - old and long friends help and her case touched me - and I promised my aid - Next day - I saw H and Howell - they said they were willing - I could take as many in my stateroom - as I wished - the price of passage - was so much for a stateroom - one or more - my stateroom 3 berths - priced at $90.00-

I sought Mrs. Hewlett - and invited her to share our stateroom - she accepted - with many thanks - but said - "Mr. Schenck - I forgot to tell about my boy" -(son 9 yrs old) - here was a dilemma - Well I said you are anxious to go - come along and I will make some provisions for the boy. All aboard - Friday morning - cast lines - steamed down Cape Fear - and out to sea - by New Inlet - or (just below Fort Fisher) - we bumped bottom once or twice - as passing over "Bar" - soon at sea - very calm - I recall - Empie Gibbs - wife and child - Dr. B.F. Fessendon - wife and baby - Miss Lizzie now and Harry Brock - Jos. Neff -Levi A. Hart and family - in all about 130 - white (parents) and children - Smooth seas - till passing Hatteras - The "Hewlett Boy" - I saw Captain and he provided bunk and he was made comfortable - Mrs. Hewlett took to berth - soon as vessel was at sea - and never left it during the voyage - which was so unusually smooth - that Head Steward - told me - "Everybody at table - and meals and they have almost cleaned out the Larder" - "Never knew so few passengers sick" - Quarantine station examination - reached steamer dock - North Moore Street - North River - New York City - Monday morning - last day of May - 1865 - found carriage - proceeded to 105 2nd Place (Bromleys) - arrived before breakfast - Mrs. Hewlett's friend met her and son - First man I saw on dock was - Major Jas. H. Hill.

Page 49

Housed at Bromleys - refitted in clothes etc - Aug 1 - 1865 - Minnie's birthday - Uncle Bromley - had all to go to "Bay Ridge" - spend the day - fine weather and good time - Later Uncle William and Aunt Kezia came down to see us - and our crowd visited - Pokeepsie - spending some days - with all the kin - remained at different points. When Oct came -through Mr. Bromley - had arranged to return South and go into "Insurance" - being promised agencies of several New York Companies - when located - stopping in at Thomas and Holmes office - 193 Front Street - New York - to say good by - to Jas. M. Holmes - former clerk with Jonas Smith and Company - (Packets Smith) - when I was with Cazaux - and known since 1855 - He told me his partner Capt. Wm. A. Thomas - would like to see me and asked me to remain till Thomas came in - Capt. T. - soon came - introduced and after short chat - he in private office - ask me as to my plans, etc - and after mutual talk - Thomas advised me not to go south - explained conditions - as he had lately returned from New Bern NC - said if I desired to remain North - which he advised - offered me position of book keeper - salary $1500.00 per year -----

Canvassed matter at house - with Mary - Uncle Bromley - Stan and Adaline - decided to accept - so advised and commenced work with T & H at once - Arranged for Board - with Mrs. Wilcox - Harrison Street - remained till May - when we moved to No. 237 Henry Street - next north to Dr. Henry Richlier - occupied lower part of house - with 2 bedrooms in 4 story - Nellie Bly - cook and maid -On May 19- 1866 - about 9 AM - Josephine Empie - born - (Henry St- Brooklyn) - Mother came to live with us - we had pleasant house friends - in Col. Shauman (widower)- son Daniel - (boy of 9) and Miss Fannie and Emma - they sisters of Col. S. - Miss Emma - a school teacher in P. School - introduced herself and took charge of Minnie and Lyda - who soon commenced - their first going to Public School - in Brooklyn NY - Our rent was $35.00 for month - here we remained - Ada had a very serious sickness in this house.

Page 50

Entertained friends here - "Cousin Robert Wood" - "Jas. Lippett" - Caroline Turner - etc. Margaret S - born Aug 20 - 1869 - Maggie Corbin - spent winter with us - moved to No. _____ Court Street - 1871 - flat - William C - born Aug 9 - 1871- Mary had taken serious cold later - held on and failed to get serious relief - Dr. Crane applied his skill - all failed - and he advised me to take Mary south - we had spent summer in Catskills - (Mrs. Lyons) - coming to Brooklyn - having previous planned to go south - stopped over a few days with Mrs. Fanny (Shauman) McCormick - visited Maggie Starr Bromley - took cars? - arrived Wilmington N.C. - 6 AM - Oct 9th - 1873 - Quartered at Mr. Morris house- (Sister Maggie Corbin was also with us in Court Street flat)

James - last son and 8th child - born Wilmington N.C. - Oct 10 - 1873 - 11 AM - Dr. William G. Thomas - I returned to New York - as I had work - etc - later on - Left Thomas and Holmes employment - 1870 - clerked for "Gil Darling" a few months - and then on solicitation (1871) accepted situation with Washington and Co. - (George Washington - J. Connor and P. Mallett) Agents Virginia Steam Line to (Railroad)- book keeper and confidential man and manager - had clerks - "Chas. E. Mallett"- "Jno. Mallett" - Pat and (Fanquier) -Served with them until they gave up agency and went out business - then with "Wheelwright" and "Wood and Mallett" and last with Buck B. ( ) - agent for "Maffett" - until I accepted employment and came and clerked for AH Van Bokkelen - Wilmington N.C. - 1873 or 1874 -

First year occupied Blom House - Chestnut Street - Doc advised Mary and removal to Hickory-NC arranged with Cousin George Gibbs (living there) move up - Mary continued to grow weaker and weaker - Dr. Richard Baker - gave no hope and what relief was possible -

James died Dec 17 - 1875 - (about 26 mos old) - diphtheria - I was called to Hickory NC - arrived

Page 51

Dec 20 - 1875 -(while on this visit of 15 days or more) - everyone in the house - was affected more or less with symptoms - sore throat - all in bed - I was only one to crawl around - Diphtheria was epidemic in Hickory - NC - in some case whole families of children 3 to 5 all died - I found Mary much thinner and failing - kept up by stimulants -

My work demanded my return and with Cousin( ) - I helped set up and decorate the "First Christmas Tree" for Py( ) School - even seen in Hickory - I have met ladies since - (1902) - who told me - they recollected me and that Christmas Tree - children then-

The greatest calamity that could happen to any man - came to me - on the evening of Feb 26 - 1876 - by telegram -"telling of Mary's peaceful death - that morning"-while an end must come - the inevitable for the very nature of the fatal and dread disease - but when - with it came that shock of sadness and lament - Mary Morris - was one of the best of the Earth - I can say no less - loved - Buried in plot - Oakland Cemetery - Feb 29 -1876 - for St. James Church - Rev. A.A. Walker - officiating.

Now must we look and care for the living - five girls and one boy - decided to let these children remain in Hickory NC - under care of friends - until winter panned and better arrangements could be made - So they boarded in Hickory - returned to Wilmington - later in fall - Housekeeping - S.W. Corner 2nd and now Grace Street - then on Chestnut Street - and last on 4th Street. Minnie visited sister Aletta - Pokeepsie - 1882 - Uncle Tom Fanning - spent winter 1881 with us and opened Dancing school - Uncle Phineas Wines Fanning - died - Aug 20 -1880 - buried Masonic plot - Oakdale Cemetery.

Page 52

(1882) Van Bokkelen - failed - out of business - I went to Riverdale - NC (10miles below New Bern) to assist Chas. Mallett as Robert S. had met with accident - Col Peter M - requesting me to go at once and sent $10.00 to pay passage - on arrival at R. - found Charlie - George and Dr. Fridge Mallett - took charge store, etc - took children there and remained about 14 mos-

Walker Morris offered situation at Cronley NC - pay $75.00 per month - so I went then in 1884 moved the children - kept house, etc.

Mother died Brooklyn - dec 21 - 1884 - we had a Big Fire at Cronley N.C. - destruction Fertilizer Mill - (Latimer) night Dec 24 - 1884 - that morning telegram came from E.P.B. telling of mother's sudden death - Work gave out at Cronley NC - I was laid off in May 1885 "work naptha can't pay" - Hard scratching for a living now - no income-

At Cronley NC - was Geo. and Lee Wright - Walker Morris - Steve and Henry Jewitt - Jno. and Harry Walters- Henry Savage Jr. - Lyda taught school - Willie worked in Fiber mill - with Alex Scott - pay small - Minnie went off - nearby - to teach Cronley Public School - I had work now and then - seldom - made good garden - and so we managed and lived -

(1885) In October - letter came to me from sister Aletta - that Uncle James Schenck had died - and she wanted me to come North - to her - at once to advise about his Estate- strange as it may appear - not one word had I from Mr. Bromley or sister Adaline - at whose home - Uncle James had lived and died - I could go just as well as I was not employed so after correspondence - I went to Wilmington - lodged a week with Cousin Robert Wood and Mary Ann-

Page 53

I desire to state - that Cousins Robert and Mary Ann Woods - always most kind to me - always considerate for my comfort - the many years of my living in Wilmington - was frequent visitors to them - and always invited upon all occasions - Christmas - birthdays or any company - loving Cousins to me and mine -

Taking car at Wil. NC - I made straight passage to Pokeepsie - John and Aletta had room and meals at hotel near by - (Willie was in NY) - stayed with them a week and then to Brooklyn - to "investigate" - affairs of "Uncle James Schenck" - now deceased - Uncle James left no will - so his estate - would be divided - as follows -

Bro Abraham - only brother or sister living - - - - - - - - - - - - - - his share - - - - 1/4 3/12

Jane Schenck ( ) children - Julia Pyle - Mary McCarty & ( ) Johnson - their shares 1/4 1/12

Ramseur Schenck children - Nicholas - Steven - Aletta - Magdelane- their shares 1/4 (4/16/4)

William Schenck children - Adaline F. - Aletta J. - Nicholas W. - - - - - -their shares 1/4 1/12 ea

Arrived at Brooklyn and made for "105 2nd Place - Bromley's House" - met Mr. Bromley - after friendly exchange - he seemed glad to see me - and said "you will stay with us" - I said No -have arranged to stay with Cousin Lucretia Schenck Mills - (139 Pacific Street) - Then Mr.B asked why? - I said "Uncle James has been dead some time - possibly 2 mo - and not one line from you or Adaline - as regard Uncle James death or word from you" - "This is so strange to me" - Mr. B - apologized and said - "Ada did not think it necessary - but he regretted not writing"- My object was to find out all possible - and they did not know I had been to Pokeepsie - Mr. B said - he was anxious to show me Uncle James (matters) - declining to stay longer - I left with promise to call next day - see Uncle James matters - called at Maggie Stan - saw Stan and Maggie - cordial and loving as ever - Took cars for Lucretia - spent night - called next day at 1302 Dean Street - to see Cousin Julia - Amelia and Willie - and then made for 105 2nd Place - arrived and soon examining papers - book accounts and memorandums of Uncle James - This matter - I came specifically to find out - and now had full opportunity-

Page 54

Mr. Bromley had in charge matters for Uncle James Schenck for past 2 years and 9 months - and most of this time Uncle James had made his home with them (105 2nd Place Brooklyn NY) as Canarsie home and family was invited out and occupied by - Jas. Whitaker- I examined matters fully - and saw the entire estate as to personal - bonds - mortgage - cash - etc - Having satisfied myself fully - and made through examination - after lunch I made move to leave - Mr. B again repeated the invitation to stay with them and said sister Adaline desired to see me before leaving - My interview and examination had been between Mr. B and myself - Ada nor Fanning not in the room - Going to upper hall - from basement - for coat and hat - Ada (my sister) came to the door and said - "I want you to come and stay here with us - all the time you remain in Brooklyn - make it your home and go and come when you please - there is a room for you and Mr. B and I both want you to come" - I was still sore - over - that matter of their neglect in writing - so I said I am much obliged and will consider it - Called at Maggie Stan (1st Place) home - always a most kind friend to me - she said - "if you don't want to stay at Father's (Mr. Bromley) come and stay with us - Stan and I want you - and hope you will remain North till Uncle James - matters are settled - we feel you can help father (Mr. B) and hope you will stay and come and make our house your home"-

The 1st night from Pokeepsie - I called at Josie Gibbs (Montague Street) about 7 PM and stayed till 10:30 PM - no one had extended or invited to spend the night - so I left about 10:30 PM and made my way for "Pierrefont House" - asked for a nightly lodging - paid $1.00 for a room and was soon elevated to 6th story - small room - small bed and little sleep - next morning breakfasted downtown and made late for Cousin Lucretia - Being now in possession of all necessary facts - as to Uncle James Estate - after a week visit in Brooklyn - started for Pokeepsie - explained matters fully to Brother Jno. Cooper and Aletta - she requested me to see Judge Gilbert Dean - with Bro. Jno. - we drove out to his country place - had full interview - he afterwards called on Aletta and advised her - to "follow the advice of your brother Nicholas - as he is fully conversant with all matters and understands the Law fully in such cases" - "he can advise you - as well as I and being in interest with you - he can tell you all matters and what to do" - This advice Aletta followed - after spending some days in Pokeepsie - returned to Brooklyn-

Page 55

In consideration of my friendship for Maggie Starr - Standish and Maggie Green - and the many favors and kindness they have shown to me in years past - (1865 and since) - and the repeated invitations of Mr. B and Adaline - I consented and moved my effects from Cousin Lucretia Schenck Mills - to my sisters house - 105 2nd Place - Time rolled on - finally - Uncle Abram Schenck (Uncle Jas. only surviving brother) - with George McCarty - as grand nephew - (grandson of June Schenck and Ralph ? ) - son of Mary Mal? McCarty of Washington City D.C. - assumed the administration of Jas. Schenck Estate - IWR Bromley - had in his possession - every bond - mortgage - notes and papers of the late Jas. Schenck -

Mr. Bromley requested me - to make full statement of his dealings - with Uncle James - for past and nearly now 3 yrs - detail same and calculate interest - and show fully all matters -

After much labor - investigation and thorough examination - statement was made in detail - with full explanation - and with the bonds and mortgages - were delivered to Abram Schenck and George McCarty - Adm. - and receipt for us - everything was surrendered to them - It is well - to note here - Mr. Bromley agreed to pay me for this work -

Just here follows inquiry and ( ) - The accounts show that Bromley had charged Uncle James - $250.00 per month for about 2 years and 8 mos - for his (Bromley's) services - in amount about (8,000.00 dollars) total -

The Heirs and Adms. - raised a "question" - to this matter - as "exorbitant" - from the fact that all Uncle James monies - were invested in good paying stocks and mortgages - and hence little work to collect interest - and besides - as his (Jas. ) annual income - was about and only 9,000.00 dollars - The charge of 33 1/3% - was exorbitant - the labor or work to collect interest on mortgages - RR Stock and Bonds - was so insignificant - that the heirs - made very strong protest - against allowing Bromley's a/c - and wanted to investigate - the matter of $250.00 per month - for Bromley's services - This was a serious matter - Mr. Bromley had no evidence in writing - he could only say "James promise it and signed checks" - (all checks show Jas. Schenck's signature - save 3 checks)-

Page 56

Mr. Bromley was seriously alarmed at this talk of "suit" -"exorbitant charges" - etc - so was Adaline - Maggie Stan and Standish B - Fortunately - I (NWS) was the only member of the "Heirs" - who was welcomed at all their homes - I had the "welcome entrance" - to all their houses - and I called on all - explained - talked and concluded differences - so that finally - No action was taken in regard - to "Bromley's Commissions" - though many of the heirs - demanded the change in billing terms - and even the Executor - pronounced against it -

Then arose - another matter - my sister Adaline - thought she ought to be paid for her care and attention to Uncle James - during his failing years - as he lived in later years with her and died in her house - Her Lawyer - made out her lengthy bill - in detail - with full charges - for care - etc -etc - amounting as I recall to some (near $3000.00) - duly presented to Adms.- The Adms. - informed her - "this bill will not be paid" - Prospect of law suit - Mr. Bromley was opposed to the whole thing and did not bill presented - though he said Uncle Jas. - "ought to have given Ada $10,000.00". This bill come to "Ears of Heirs" - "serious protest and fight it to the end" - "never pay it" - except at Law's demand - things were serious - To review - Ada had taken good care of Uncle James - given him all comforts - says the Heirs "Bromley has already gotten near $8000 in past 3 (near) years - is not that enough - to pay for all" - "we will contest this bill" - Matters so ran - I finding out the feeling of all the Heirs advised Adaline to compromise - and take what the Executor would pay - After many talks - consultations and ( ) - in every shape and lawyers consulting - Ada authorized me to settle and compromise for $500.00

Accordingly - in a few days - called the McCarty's office - NY - opened the question of Adaline's claim-etc - McCarty informed me - deadly - that Heirs would contest Mrs. Bromley's claim and would not allow it - after talk and reviewing matters - I said "George can't this matter be compromised" - he replied - "We don't feel like allowing once cent" - finally I led him into a "compromise condition" in Ada's claim - he asked me - "Have you her authority" - being so informed - He said her would enter into a "compromise" - when I offered and proposed $500. In full all demands - this was accepted and Adaline received her check next day (500 dollars) - My pay - has not even been "Thanks" - and to this later day - now over 15 years -

Page 57

Reviewing this matter Adaline claims- Uncle James - lived with them (105 2nd Place - Brooklyn) for about 3 years - he was a man who made no trouble in a house - no doubt he required care and attention and part of the time the care - was very disagreeable - he being in senile condition and unable to help himself - one of the infirmaries of age - when comes helplessness-

Against this - put the facts - of his medicine bills - not exceeding $35.00 for all his sickness - His Doctors bill - ten dollars ($10) - and Mr. Bromley commissions ( as his receiving nearly or quite $8000.00) from Uncle James - during the 3 years he lived there - The "Heirs" thoroughly ablative - her family had been fully paid - in these things ----- and so I thought-x

Referring to earlier day - "Adeline - Mr. Bromley - Stan and Maggie (Biddy servant)" - went to Canarsie LI every summer - for many summers and enjoyed Uncle Jas. hospitality - never paying a dollar for board - The summer "Schenck" was sick and the summers of Fannie P and Ed P - infancy and childhood - they always were at Canarsie - in the summer - so long as Uncle James lived there and this commenced in 1856 - Uncle James left Canarsie - (about 1890) - still many summers they went to ( ) New Jersey -

My conclusion is Adaline was well paid in the $500. and in the many years before - when she lived at Canarsie (with Grandma S) before her marriage and afterwards - where they spent summer after summer - when her children were young - they went from Brooklyn and spent usually June- July and August - at Canarsie. Mr. Bromley was a man of many noble traits and good points - the mystery to me is how he could charge and accept $250.00 per month from Uncle James - when the work was so slight and when he knew Uncle Jas. income - from all sources - was about 9000.00 per year - x - The fact is true and thus we see Mr. B - charged and received about 1/3 of Uncle James yearly income - (Bromleys a/c - as made out by me - will show this) - then Adaline coming with her claim - it was well - I was in Brooklyn - to calm the angry talk, etc - Yet for this - Adaline - Fannie and Ewd. - seem to think - I have rendered no important service to them or Mr. B. and have little or no love or regard for me - I ask myself - why is this? - only answer is - "selfishness"-

Page 58

Uncle Abram Schenck and George McCarty administered on Uncle James estate- Mr. Bromley and I - turned over - all the bonds - mortgages - RR stock - property and books - with full and explicit and detailed statements of his - affairs - as in hands of Mr. Bromley for past (near 3 years) - and received detailed receipt- At request of Mr. B. - I made the full statement of account - showing entire "Personal Estate for Jas. Schenck" interests -debits and credits - this was a particular and careful work - I was many days in preparing same - Mr. Bromley fully intended to pay me - for this work - and other assistance - and so told me - but never did- Now the administering has been fixed - the only course for the heirs - was to wait - and have patience - as New York Law - provides - one year for publication and calling in bills - the testator may owe and outstanding - Then "6 mos more" or 18 months in all before Adms. was required to pay "heirs"-

My visit to Brooklyn and Pokeepsie - being accomplished - my natural course - was to return home - then (Conley NC) - Cousin Wilkes Morris coming to NY - in interest of "Latimer work" - he invited me - to spend a week or more with him at his hotel - I gladly accepted and we traveled city daily - "Scott" - was on hand - at times - Talking of going back - Mr. B - Ada - said stay and Ewd. was anxious for me to secure work in NY or Brooklyn - Said "Stay Uncle Nick - as long as you please" - "we are glad to have you" -

Finally one day in Broadway - with Wilkes - Frank McAllister accounted me and requested I would call and see him - some important matter - Later calling on McA - at 22 Day Street - I was employed by him - and this event - determined - my "stay North" - later sending for the children "Minnie-Lyda- (Ada - Hickory NC) - Josie - Daisy and Willie" - they coming on by "Clyde Line" - June 1886 - and our house keeping - in furnished house - flat - in Orange Street - Brooklyn - rent $50.00 month - Later rented furnished house in Pacific Street - Brooklyn - a few doors from Cousin Lucretia Schenck Mills and there we moved and lived - mean time - ( ) - Mary Cassidy a bride - ( )Lippitt - Cousin Jane Bradley and husband - Richard Bradley - and grandson Richard B. - were at times - entertained by us-

Page 59

After a year and over - at Pacific - moved to 2nd Place - to be near Uncle B and sister Adaline - later arranged to buy 106 St. Mark Ave. and moved - purchased new furniture and house outfit -

(As I had sold out my Cronley effects to Wm. Latimer) - here we resided - However before this - while living in 2nd Place - my daughter - Eliza Fanning was married to Jno. J. Disosuray at St. Paul's church (corner Clinton and ________) Brooklyn - December 11 - 1889 - by Rev. J. Dolby Skeen - they left for their home - New Bern NC - My daughter Josephine Empie married Edw. Baker - Nov 10 - 1891 - at 106 St. Marks - Brooklyn - Rev. J.D. Skeene - home wedding and supper - they left for south - Augusta - Georgia - My daughter Mary Cooper - married Owen McRae Holmes - home wedding - 106 St. Marks - Brooklyn - 23 Nov - 1892 - Rev. JD. Skeen - reception - supper -etc - they left for NewBerry SC-

My 2nd marriage to (43 yr old) Anne Elizabeth Holmes (daughter Ann Hill and Owen Davis Holmes) - occurred Oct 4 - 1892 - Wil. NC - 11:30 AM - Rev. Joseph Carmichael -DD - residence of her oldest brother "Gabriel Holmes" - after elegant breakfast we left by cars for my home - Brooklyn - New York - quiet wedding - chiefly family - no cards - Lived at 106 St. Marks Avenue - till late October - 1896 - when came south - visited Richmond Virginia to see Lyt and Alice Mann and then on to Spartanburg - SC - son Graham to sister Eliza - (Wm. Haughton) - born Nov 13 1896 - Visited Wilmington NC - stayed at " Hills" (old McRae house - 2nd Street) - went to Masonboro Sound in July 1897 and remained through to Nov 3 1899 - Grainger Place-

Never in my life - derived more pleasure out of the sound than this summer 1897 - we had at times - Arthur's family and ( ) - Julia Harrison family - Uncle Buck - Aunt K - Charles Hill - Gabe and Lee - Jo Walters and wife and children - Wm. Walters and theirs - I have noticed as many as 18 at breakfast table - we had "Hagar" - a splendid cook and Pauline - for house girl - fish were abundant as we could buy a bunch 7 to 8 pig fish for 10 cents or 3 bushels for 25 cents - our gardens full with NC vegetables from Sheriff Hewlett's - (near Masonboro Sound)

back to main page/prev/next