- Processed by:
- Jeanne Barnes
- Date Completed:
- Encoded by:
- Eli Naeher
- Date Encoding Completed:
20 May 2004
- UNCW Archives, University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- Student Government Association, University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- Student Government Association Records, 1971 - 2004 and continuing
- Call Number
- WRG 170-05
- 11 archival boxes,
4 linear feet
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the UNCW Archives in Randall Library at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.
- This collection consists of the records of the Student Government Association at UNC-Wilmington from 1971 to the present. Included are general records such as meeting minutes, correspondence of the executive board, and copies of constitutions. Wilmington College had a Student Council almost since its founding, with the first student body president elected in 1948. The college moved to its own campus on South College Road in 1961, and then became part of the University of North Carolina system in 1969. The Student Government Association (SGA) is the organization for student government at every UNC system university. Today, SGA at UNCW is comprised of the executive board and the legislature (formerly known as the Senate). There are both executive and legislative committees. Current information about SGA is available at http://appserv02.uncw.edu/caic/StudentGovernment/index.asp.
- Restrictions to Access
- Since there are no restrictions on this collection, it is open to research. However, please contact UNCW Archives in advance to schedule an appointment.
- Many materials in this collection were in UNCW Archives prior to processing. Other records were periodically transferred to UNCW Archives from the offices that created them.
- Preferred Citation
- [Identification of item], WRG 170-05, Student Government Association Records, UNCW Archives, University of North Carolina at Wilmington.
- Copyright Notice
- The University of North Carolina at Wilmington owns copyright to the materials in this collection. Individuals using materials from Randall Library at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington are responsible for using the materials in conformance with United States copyright law.
Following is a list of student presidents of Wilmington College and UNCW.
|1950-1951||John Darling Winters|
|1951-1952||Walter C. Biggs|
|1957-1958||Julian F. Williams|
|1961-1962||Buck O'Shields, Jr.|
|1973||William Frank Penn, Jr.|
|1974-1975||Rocky Lane Moore|
|1975-1976||Stephan Lewis Hobbs|
|1976-1977||William "Duffy" Hoke Robinson|
|1977||Paul Morgan Laird|
|1977-1978||Karin Lee Whaley|
|1979||Francis X. DeLuca|
|1979-1980||Jonathan H. Faill, Jr.|
|1980-1981||Jesse A. Sanders|
|1981-1982||Charles B. Parsons|
|1982-1983||Steven M. Schmidt|
|1986-1987||B. Allan Dudley|
|1988-1989||Karla F. Alston|
|1993-1994||Duane "Ziggy" Nix|
Scope and Content
This collection covers the date range 1971-2001. In Series 1, Correspondence, there is correspondence to and from members of the executive board. Series 2 consists of records from various committees. Much of Series 2 consists of minutes from committee meetings, but it also includes correspondence and other committee-related information. Many of the committee folders date from the late 1990s. Series 3 is "Minutes," and it has meeting minutes from the legislative branch and executive board only. Committee meeting minutes are filed under Series 2. Lastly, Series 4--Subject Files--includes budget requests, financial reports, resolutions, constitutions, and other information ranging in date from 1971-2001.
Please note that the arrangement of materials in this collection was partially determined by original order as received. Because of that, researchers should be sure to check all possible locations for materials of interest. Please note that original file folder titles have, for the most part, been retained.
- Collection Name
- Records of the WLOZ Radio Station, 1980-2001
- WLOZ Radio Station
- About 50 Items
- UNCW Archives
Online Catalog HeadingsUniversity of North Carolina at Wilmington--History
College student government--North Carolina--Wilmington--History
Student Government Association--North Carolina--Wilmington--History