THE BURGWIN FAMILY PRIVATE PAPERS
1734 - 1967
These papers are photocopied typescripts of New Hanover County, NC, Deed Book and Will Book records and private letters, copied by Elizabeth McKoy of Wilmington, NC. The deed abstracts are occasionally accompanied by sketches of the area described in the deed. Some of this research material was in Elizabeth McKoy’s book, Early New Hanover County Records, published in 1973.
The first deed abstract is dated August 20, 1734, and records a gift from Maurice Moore to his son-in-law, John Porter, of 250 acres in Bath County. The boundary descriptions found there carry the reader back to a simpler age: “250 acres..........beginning at the mouth of a small creek or branch a that makes out of Prince George Creek on the south side thereof a small distance below Mr. Roger Haynes house, up said branch to a Spanish Oak marked with 2 notches, then run South 300 poles along the marked trees.......(to) the line dividing this from land whereon the Revd. Mr. Richard Marsden built some houses...........” These deeds describe land that eventually evolved into the Hermitage and Castle Haynes Plantations. There is also a typescript of an 1803 sale notice of the Hermitage and other of John Burgwin’s real properties, that was published in the Wilmington Gazette. A print of the Hermitage as it appeared in the early 1800s is included in this group of papers. Another typescript of a newspaper article is the death notice of Capt. John H.K. Burgwyn, son of George W.B. Burgwyn, as published in the April 21, 1847, Chronicle of Wilmington. This article uses the different spelling of Burgwin which was adopted by one branch of the family. This spelling was also noted in a magazine article by James G. Burr, entitled “Historic Homes. The Hermitage, Burgwin’s Seat.” This entertaining and informative history of the Hermitage was published in the November, 1886, issue of The Magazine of American History. A xeroxed copy of this article is included in this group of papers. There are typescripts of seven letters, all written to Mary (Haynes) Waddell, wife of Gen. Hugh Waddell, who lived at Belle Font, in Bladen County. One was from her mother, Mrs. Haynes, wife of Capt. Roger Haynes; the others from her sister, Margaret Burgwin, wife of John Burgwin. These letters were written in 1764, 1768, and 1770.
The Burgwin Papers have been designated Accession Number 13 of the Manuscripts Collection, Special Collections Department; William Madison Randall Library, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, 601 South College Road, Wilmington, North Carolina 28403-3297.
There are no access restrictions on this collection
Processed by Judith H. Davis
William Madison Randall Library
The University of North Carolina at Wilmington
COPYRIGHT: Retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.