The following policy is meant to assure consistency and continuity in all matters pertaining to physical access and possession of master keys and OneCard access at Randall Library for its employees and partners. This policy intends to create a stronger level of safety and security at Randall Library; to reduce or eliminate confusion over who has access to which spaces and when that access should occur and not occur; and to reduce one-off decision-making scenarios where exceptions are given without foresight to safety and security.
Master keys are distributed as follows:
- University Librarian (1)
- All RL Associate Directors (5)
- Technology Support Analyst, or other ITS employee as selected by the Associate Director Library Information Technology and Digital Strategies and as approved by University Librarian (1)
- Facility Coordinator or other Facility-related position selected by the Associate Director Library User Experience for Access and Spaces and as approved by University Librarian (1)
- Facility Maintenance Technician or other Facility-related position selected by the Associate Director Library User Experience for Access and Spaces and as approved by University Librarian (1)
- Circulation Desk*
* Master Key at the Circulation Desk is barcoded and must be checked out with a UNCW OneCard. Students are NOT allowed to check out the Master Key
Since the building was rekeyed in 2013, a process has been in place to track individual keys requests and key ownership at Randall Library. Under this policy, that process will remain in place and in accordance with University standards.
Key requests should be entered through the Work Order Tracking List on SharePoint and are subject to approval by the University Librarian.
Loading Dock Electronic Card Access
- All UNCW employees with a UNCW OneCard and who work in Randall Library either for the Library or for a branch of the University with an office(s) within the Library shall have electronic card access to the loading dock.
- Aramark employees who work at Port City Java and must have access to Randall Library on a Saturday or Sunday morning when the Library is not open shall have electronic card access to the loading dock on a limited basis (meaning the specific hours of access are truncated) at the discretion of the Facility Coordinator.
- UNCW students employed by the Library or by a branch of the University with an office within the Library shall not have electronic card access to the loading dock.
Internal Electronic Card Access
Electronic Card Access is obtained by filling out the Work Order Tracking List in SharePoint. Electronic Card Access is not automatic when new staff members are hired and must be requested through the Work Order Tracking List.
- All Randall Library staff and Randall Library student workers are given electronic card access to RL1013, and RL Employee Elevator.
- Access to RL1029 is given at the discretion of Associate Director Library Information Technology and Digital Strategies.
- Access to RL1023 is given at the discretion of Associate Director Library Technical and Collection Management
- All Randall Library partners and student workers for partners are given electronic card access to RL1013 and RL Employee Elevator.
- All student electronic card access is restricted to M-T 8am to 8pm. Friday 8am to 6pm. Access for students who work outside these hours is the responsibility of their direct supervisor.
- All student electronic card access expires at the end of each semester.
- Special electronic card access, above and beyond the default, requires written approval from University Librarian.
- Access to the MOWC is restricted to the University Librarian, Special Collections Librarians full-time staff, University Archivist, the Liaison Librarian to the Department of Art & Art History, one student worker, and the Facility Coordinator.
Whenever possible, Facility Coordinator will communicate to Library staff via email when an outside contractor will be working in the building.
- Under Continued Contract by Randall Library
- Hired contractors shall only have access to Randall Library M-F, 8am to 6pm. If they have UNCW issued OneCards, those cards should be programmed to reflect this restriction.
- One exception: Security Innovations guards have OneCards that allow access between overnight and on weekends. They do not have keys.
- Current contracts should be reviewed and modified to align with this policy.
- Hired contractors shall not bring family, friends, or any other non-UNCW person along to complete work within Randall Library.
- In the event that a contractor needs a key to Randall Library, a formal key request form must be filled out with the Facility Coordinator and approved by University Librarian. The contractor must be responsible for the key at all times, it cannot be left at Randall Library.
- Occasional Contractors (ex. carpet installers, non-campus electricians)
- Contractors only have access to Randall Library M-F, 8am to 6pm, and the Facility Coordinator supervises access.
- The Facility Coordinator will have a generic OneCard available for occasional contractors to use on a limited and daily basis for access to the building.
After Hours Access (when the Library is closed)
- Access to Randall Library when the library is closed is restricted to UNCW staff and faculty who have electronic card access to the loading dock door. Staff and faculty may not bring in family, friends, or anyone who does not work for UNCW when the building is closed even if accompanied by a Library employee.