Q: I have some old books and documents that need to be restored but I am not sure how to do it. Is there someone at the library who can help?
A: The library does not have a conservationist on staff so we are not able to give advice about the conservation of books, A/V materials, or other materials. Note that professional conservation can be very expensive.
Here are some online resources about conservation:
- Northeast Document Conservation Center Preservation Leaflets
- Northeast Document Conservation Center Leaflet on How to Choose a Conservator
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC)
- North Carolina Connecting to Collections
Here are some books on conservation and restoration.
- The care of antiques and historical collections by A. Bruce MacLeish. Walnut Creek: AltaMira Press, c1995.
- Caring for your family treasures: heritage preservation by Jane S. Long. New York: H. N. Abrams, 2000.
- Preserving your family treasures by M. Trinkley and D. Hacker. Columbia, S.C: Chicora Foundation, 1998.
- Preventive conservation for historic house museums by J. Merritt and J. Riley. Lanham: AltaMira Press, 2010.
Q: I have some old or rare books, collectibles, or objects of art. How do I find out how much they are worth?
A: Please take a look at the list of book, music scores, and A/V vendors and book search engines used by Acquisitions at Randall Library. Many types of objects can be priced at online auction sites such as eBay and through antiques and collectibles price guides.
Q: I would like to donate rare books, collectibles or objects of art to Randall Library. How should I proceed?
A: The library welcomes gifts of books, DVDs, and other materials (and monetary donations, too, of course!) For gifts pertaining to UNCW history, contact UNCW Archives and for other gifts of rare or special materials, contact Special Collections. For general gifts, please contact June Spencer Francis at 910-962-4286 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information is available at http://library.uncw.edu/about/giving_library.