From the University Archives--This Week in UNCW History: UNCW dedicates Abrons Student Health Center, May 22, 2007

Spotlight Image

Six years ago, the Abrons family funded a generous donation to Student Affairs.

Chancellor Rosemary DePaolo presents a gift to Chris and Bert Abrons at the Abrons Student Health Center dedication. UNCW / Jamie Moncrief.

Chancellor Rosemary DePaolo joined Chris and Bert Abrons and guests to dedicate the Abrons Student Health Center on Tuesday, May 22, 2007. The Wilmington couple established a planned gift that will provide the university with $1.5 million.

Bert and Chris Abrons donated $100,000 to UNCW to fund premium payments on a $1.5 million life insurance policy. The UNCW Division of Student Affairs is the beneficiary of the policy.

From the University Archives--This Week in UNCW History: First Commencement in Air-Conditioned Trask Coliseum, May 14, 1983

Spotlight Image

30 years ago, commencement was a cool occasion.

Although Trask Coliseum was constructed in 1978, it did not get air conditioning until 1983. State policy prohibited the use of state funds for air conditioning in sports coliseums. Private donations paid for the $385,000 project. Fundraisers included a chowder contest and a Hank Williams Jr., benefit concert.

View digital collection of Wilmington nursing school yearbooks

Spotlight Image

Yearbooks (1949-1966) from the James Walker Hospital School of Nursing shed light on a profession, a region, and an era.

Randall Library Special Collections and University Archives at the University of North Carolina Wilmington have recently digitized and made available yearbooks from the former James Walker Hospital School of Nursing in Wilmington, NC.

The yearbooks are from the collections of UNCW Randall Library and the Robert M. Fales Health Sciences Library of SEAHEC.

From the University Archives--This Week in UNCW History: William Brooks is inducted into NC Sports Hall of Fame, May 6, 1993

Spotlight Image

Father of UNCW athletics honored 20 years ago.

William J. ("Bill") Brooks (1922-2010) is the first--and so far, the only--representative of UNCW in the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame.

Brooks retired in 1991 following a 40-year career at UNCW. He garnered many honors for his success as athletics director and coach. He is the namesake for Brooks Field.

From the University Archives--This Week in UNCW Pre-History: William Rand Kenan, Jr., is born on April 30, 1872

Spotlight Image

William R. Kenan's memoir sheds light on the man, his business life, philanthropy, and family.

The Wise House and Kenan House on Market Street are UNCW-owned properties and gifts from the Kenan family. Mr. Kenan is part of UNCW pre-history, since the college did not open until 1947--the year after his first memoir was published.

From the University Archives--This Week in UNCW History: Seaside Jam, April 26, 1980

Spotlight Image

UNCW's Seaside Jam entertained students with music and performances while fundraising for Save the Whales.

In 1980, the UNCW Pub hosted UNCW's first annual Seaside Jam in support of Save the Whales.

From the University Archives--This Week in UNCW History: Brunson House is dedicated on April 15, 1999

Spotlight Image

Home at 1700 Princess Street is named after long-time UNCW employees.

Left: Chancellor Leutze and Veronica McLaurin-Brown display Brunson House plaque at reception. Reception was held at Kenan House following the dedication of Brunson House.

14 years ago, Chancellor James Leutze dedicated UNCW’s Brunson House, 1700 Princess Street, in honor of Lawrence “Buck” and Hattie Brunson. The house, acquired from the Brunsons' granddaughter Mrs. Veronica McLaurin-Brown in a combination gift-sale, is the first and only university-owned building named for UNCW staff members (not faculty or administrators).

From the University Archives--This Week in UNCW History: Student Recreation Center celebrates grand opening, April 11, 2000

Spotlight Image

New rec center opens for business with fanfare.

In 1994 the Student Government Association approved an increase in student fees to sponsor a new UNCW Student Recreation Center, causing some controversy because the students funding the project would graduate before its completion. However, with much appreciation to all UNCW students and alumni, the university moved the project forward and construction began in September of 1998.

From the University Archives--This Week in UNCW History: Seahawks compete for National Junior College Basketball Championship, 1962 and 1963

Spotlight Image

1962 was Wilmington College’s rookie year in the NJCC tournament.

Before March Madness

A year after Coach Bill Brooks’ baseball team took home the national title, the basketball team—also coached by Brooks—opened their campaign for a national championship.

3/8/1962

Seahawks beat North Greenville Junior College 93-69 in the final game of a best-of-three series for the Viriginia-Carolinas region title. The team earned the right to advance to the National Junior College Basketball Championship in Hutchinson, Kan.

This win gave Wilmington a 20-4 season record with no losses to a junior college squad.

From the University Archives--This Week in UNCW History: Wilmington College inches closer to UNC status, March 11, 1969

Spotlight Image

NC General Assembly considers admission of Wilmington College and Asheville-Biltmore College to the University of North Carolina system.

Left: William H. Wagoner was the last Wilmington College president and the first UNCW chancellor, inaugurated in 1969

After establishing itself as a four-year college in 1963, the next step for Wilmington College was to rally support for joining the University of North Carolina system.

Pages