Randall Library Special Collections and University Archives at the University of North Carolina Wilmington have recently digitized and made available yearbooks from the former James Walker Hospital School of Nursing in Wilmington, NC.
The yearbooks are from the collections of UNCW Randall Library and the Robert M. Fales Health Sciences Library of SEAHEC.
The James Walker Hospital School of Nursing was once one of the largest schools of nursing in the state. Founded in 1901, the James Walker Nursing School preceded the nursing degree program at UNCW. Faculty and students from James Walker came to Wilmington College (now UNCW) when the James Walker Hospital closed in 1966 and New Hanover Hospital opened.
This digital collection is available via the Internet Archive: James Walker Memorial Hospital School of Nursing Yearbooks.
How to View the Collection
- Open your web browser by clicking on this link: James Walker Memorial Hospital School of Nursing Yearbooks or by entering the following URL into your browser: http://archive.org/search.php?query=james%20walker%20memorial%20hospital%20nursing&sort=-date
- Select the yearbook that you want to view from the reverse-chronological list by clicking on "Read Online" below the rotating image. You may then page through or search the title.
- To select another book, simply click on the back browser to go back to the list of James Walker Memorial Hospital School of Nursing Yearbooks.
- Other download options: download the PDF or download the e-book directly to a Kindle.
- If you lose your place in the Internet Archive, go to the Internet Archive main website--www.archive.org--and then enter James Walker Memorial Hospital School of Nursing in the white search box at the top of the page. Leave everything else as is and click Go! You will get a listing of all of the James Walker yearbooks. See below:
This exciting project was made possible through the LYRASIS Digitization Collaborative – a Sloan Foundation grant-subsidized program that has made digitization easy and affordable for libraries and cultural institutions across the country.
Below: From The 1960 yearbook, the Epitome
Through the Collaborative’s partnership with the Internet Archive, all items were scanned from cover- to-cover and in full color. You can choose from a variety of formats, page through a book choosing the “read online” option, download the PDF or search the full text version.
Left: Cover of the 1949 yearbook, the Epitome