On January 1, 2015 the databases that Randall Library has access to through NC LIVE will be changing. Precipitated by funding constraints, but also as part of a review of the content they provide, NC LIVE has made sweeping changes to the resources that it subscribes to and makes available to us and other institutions.
Many of our EBSCO databases are being replaced by comparable databases provided by ProQuest. Although you will no longer have access to some of the library resources you may be accustomed to using, the databases, content and tools available from ProQuest are comparable to or better than similar resources provided by EBSCO.
About NC LIVE
NC LIVE (North Carolina Libraries for Virtual Education) provides many online resources to public and academic libraries (including all UNC institutions and NC community colleges). We are fortunate to have this state-wide resource to supplement what Randall Library/UNCW subscribes to and pays for. Databases, journals, eBooks, and eVideos are expensive and libraries depend on consortiums like NC LIVE to assist them in providing access to important information sources.
How to Prepare
- Attend an Information Session about database changes (all held in Randall Library #1022)
- October 9, 11:00 – 12:30 p.m.
- November 6, 4:00 – 5:30 p.m.
- December 1, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m.
- Talk with your Librarian.
- Try out ProQuest Central to familiarize yourself with the new interface.
- Watch a tutorial on how to use ProQuest.
- Review the list of database changes below and familiarize yourself with the replacement databases.
- Read more about NC LIVE's decisions on their website: NC LIVE Resource Selection Information 2015-17.