Offers statistics and detailed coverage of conflicts worldwide. The first page of the Armed Conflict Database is a world map, divided into six regions. With the map, the user can either select a continent or go directly to a specific country. Regional conflicts, whether international, internal or terrorist, are displayed using the familiar coding of the IISS Chart of Armed Conflict. An alphabetical list of countries highlights which areas in the region are currently affected by the conflict. Once the choice of conflict has been made, the user will be taken to the latest report on the situation. A fact box succinctly covers the type of conflict, parties involved, current status, the number of fatalities, icosts involved and weapons used. With this fact box comes a brief update of the year's trends and incidents relating to all features of the conflict. The Armed Conflict Database also provides an interactive service whereby users can ask questions that the IISS Armed Conflict Programme will endeavour to answer.
Each conflict is analysed in detail under the following headings:
- Latest Update - analyses the latest developments in the conflict.
- Annual Update - offers a summary of the main events during the year. A fact box succinctly covers the type of conflict, its parties, and current status, the number of its fatalities, its costs and the weapons used. With the fact box comes a brief update of the year's trends and incidents relating to all features of the conflict.
- Political Status - examines whether combatants are currently in conflict or negotiations. The current status is presented and accompanied by a short analysis of the year's peace manoeuvres.
- Fatalities - maintains a check on the human cost of the conflict. This feature informs the user of both the total number of fatalities in the conflict, and the number of fatalities in a specific year.
- Weapons - offers an overview on the general military balance between the combatants as well as annual military developments including arms acquisitions and military information pertaining to the conflict.
- Costs - offers a researched estimate of the cost of the conflict ($US) taking into account military expenditures, cost of refugees, loss of GDP and reconstruction costs.
- Non-state Armed Groups - consists of a selected list of non-state armed groups and provides information on their national or religious origin, area of operation, estimated strength and declared targets and goals.
- Historical Background - provides a researched historical background paper to the conflict, placing recent developments into perspective by explaining the underlying causes and tension behind the fighting.
- Timeline - presents a constantly updated timeline relating to the conflict. When accessed, the user is automatically transferred to the current date, but by scrolling the user can quickly gain an insight into recent and historic incidents and developments.