Frequently Asked Questions
Find your answers to commonly asked questions about library services, using the library and finding materials.
Select a category from the menu to view questions & answers.
Don't see your question in here? Suggest a FAQ (we'll answer your question too!)
Where in the library...?
You can charge your iPhone, Android, iPad, wireless headphones, and other technology at the charging station on the first floor. Instructions are displayed on the screen of the station. You can also find charging lockers on the first or second floor.
Students, staff, and faculty may check out portable DVD/CD players or our media viewing cart at the Library Help Desk. The cart is equipped with the following:
- Region free BluRay player
- Standard BluRay player
- DVD/VHS combination player
You can also use the DVD/VCR and Blu-ray player in RL1045. Make a reservation for RL1045.
The second floor of Randall Library has been designated a Quiet Zone. The library's Noise and Cell Phone policy and Patron Behavior are enforced in the Quiet Zone. Patrons in this space are asked to keep noise to a minimum or relocate to a group study room or the library's first floor.
- To reserve a room, visit our Group Study Rooms Reservations page. Click on the desired time/day in the calendar.
- Group Study Rooms are available for groups of two or more on the first and second floors of the library. See the first floor map and second floor map for locations.
- They are available for reservations by UNCW students, staff, and faculty for up to 2 hours a day.
Yes, visit this page for library maps and help locating specific areas in the library.
Bound Journals are located on the second floor. See the map.
Current Journals and Current Magazines and Newspapers are located on the first floor, near the entrance to Port City Java. See the map.
Yes. Randall Library hosts two solicitation tables on our first floor and Campus Life hosts two solicitation tables in front of our buidling. These tables can be reserved using the UNCW Campus Reservation System (EMS).
Read more about the solicitation table policy.
- Books, DVDs and other physical items on course reserves are kept behind the Library Help Desk. Just bring the call number and your UNCW OneCard to the desk and ask for the item.
- Be sure to return the course reserves item(s) to the Library Help Desk when finished.
- Most items checked out from Randall Library, including Interlibrary Loan items, may be returned to the Library Help Desk when the library is open or deposited in one of our two item return stations when the library is closed.
- We have one item return box by the Library lot (directly beside the library) and an item return slot in the wall to the left of the library's main entrance.
- Items with very limited check-out periods, such as course reserve materials, and fragile or temperature-sensitive items should be returned directly to the Library Help Desk whenever possible.
- You do not need to present ID when returning items.
- When you get an email from the library stating that your material is ready for pick up, visit the Library Help Desk and tell staff you are picking up your hold.
- If you are a faculty or staff member, you may request that your held items be mailed to your campus address by contacting User Services staff at 910-962-3272.
Lost & found is located at the Library Help Desk. Please see the Lost & Found Policy for more information.
Disposable, single-use headphones are available at the Library Help Desk.