The James Walker Hospital School of Nursing was once one of the largest schools of nursing in the state. Founded in 1901, the James Walker Nursing School preceded the nursing degree program at UNCW. Faculty and students from James Walker came to Wilmington College (now UNCW) when the James Walker Hospital closed in 1966 and New Hanover Hospital opened.
The School of Nursing at Wilmington College was established initially as an Associate Degree program and graduated its first class in 1967. In 1984, the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program was established. This collection includes items from both the James Walker Hospital School of Nursing and the School of Nursing at UNCW.