The UNCW Flash Fiction Challenge 2011
This year’s theme was 25 years. That’s right. 25 Years or a quarter century. Why? Well, in honor of a milestone - - it is 25 years since the last Randall Library expansion/renovation.
The rules were simple, mirroring those from previous contests:
• 500 English words or less.
• Story must use the theme - - 25 years.
• Story must include Randall Library in some manner.
• Double-spaced, typed. 12-point font.
• Name, email & phone on attached cover sheet only, i.e. not on the story - - to facilitate blind review.
• Submit 3 copies (each w/cover sheet).
• Be creative!
In other words, each story would have to include the theme, i.e. mention both 25 years, and incorporate reference to Randall Library. For example, someone or something could be 25 years old, or it could be 25 years ago or 25 years from now. The number 25 in mathematics. In science. In religion. In sports. In other fields. In historical years. And so on.
Framing the Stories with Art
Stories are framed by cover art, and this year, back cover art, courtesy of UNCW students in Ned Irvine’s ART 260 class. Adding additional value, visual and otherwise, each story is accompanied by an original illustration, again, courtesy of Ned Irvine’s students.