Welcome to the William Madison Randall Library
UNCW Visiting Scholar library privileges are issued by the Randall Library Circulation Department, upon approval by the Access Coordinator or Associate Director, Library User Experience for Access and Spaces. Qualifying scholars may purchase a Visiting Scholar's Card, valid for one year, for $25.00 Visiting Scholar privileges may be renewed upon request with verification of eligibility and payment of the $25.00 fee.
The following are the minimum eligibility criteria for a Visiting Scholar card at UNCW’s Randall Library:
- The individual must be visiting from an institution or organization outside the UNC system with demonstrated proof of enrollment or employment.
- Applications will be reviewed and applicants will be notified with a decision within 2 business days. Notification will come via email.
Visiting Scholar library privileges are especially suited for:
- Current or retired faculty from institutions of higher education outside the UNC system and North Carolina Community College system faculty.
- Currently enrolled doctoral and master’s candidates from non-UNC system universities who reside in the area;
Visiting Scholars are eligible to borrow books, government documents, audiovisual materials (CDs, VHS, DVDs, Audio Books), and items from the Featured New Books collection.
Visiting Scholars must follow all regulatory requirements and UNCW policies that apply to his or her activities while at UNCW.
How to borrow materials
- Present the Randall Library Borrower's Card and photo ID for each transaction.
- Borrowing privileges are not transferable.
- Borrowers are responsible for materials borrowed until they are returned to the Library and lost or damaged material must be paid for.
- Renewal of borrowed materials is allowed unless another user has placed a hold request for the item and/or an item is overdue. Please see renewals information below.
- There is no limit on the number of books that may be checked out from the General Collection. Items from the Featured new books, Videos, Music and Audiobooks collections are limited to 7 items checked out at any one time, in any combination (for example 4 videos, 3 music CDs).
- 28 days for books and government documents
- 21 days for books from the Featured New Books collection, with one renewal allowed
- 7 days for audiovisual materials (CDs, VHS, DVDs, Audio Books)
- Reference items and periodicals must be used in the building
Visiting Scholars are not eligible for:
- Check out of laptops, equipment, or reserve items.
- Interlibrary Loan services.
- Remote database access due to licensing restrictions.
Overdue, Damage and Replacement Charges
- If items are not renewed or returned by the due date, replacement costs will be issued for items that are at least 14 days overdue. The bill will include the replacement cost and a $15 non-refundable overdue fee per item. If items are returned to the Library within two months after a bill has been issued, a waiver of the replacement charge(s) may be requested but the non-refundable fee(s) will not be waived.
Payment of Charges
Payment may be made by check, cash (exact change only) or with Visa or MasterCard at the Circulation Desk; checks should be made out to UNCW.
- Renew items by phone (910-962-3272), by email (rlcirculation [at] uncw.edu), or in person. If another user has placed a hold request for that item, renewals will not be permitted.
- CDs, VHS, DVDs, and Audio Books are limited to two (2) renewals per item and the renewal period is for seven (days) per renewal. If another user has placed a hold request for that item, renewals will not be permitted.
Please inquire at the Research Help Desk for assistance in using the library and at the Circulation Desk for questions about borrowing privileges and your library account.
Questions about this policy may be addressed to rlcirculation [at] uncw.edu.