Computers and Technology
Software on Computers
- 7-Zip 18.5
- Adobe Acrobat DC
- ArcGIS 10.8.2
- Audacity 2.1.3
- GIMP 2.8.6
- Google Chrome
- IBM SPSS Statistics 24
- JMP Pro 14
- Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Mozilla Firefox
- Pharos iPrint
- Python 3.8
- Read&Write Gold 11
- Respondus Lockdown Browser
Computers on the second floor, outside of the Graduate Study Lounge and the Quiet Study Lounge, have the Adobe Creative Cloud. Read more about accessing Adobe Creative Cloud applications.
There are four Bloomberg Terminals in the Learning Commons.
GIS stations in the Learning Commons (located near Bloomberg Terminals) have:
- Regular Arc GIS desktop 10.7.1
- Arc GIS Pro
- ENVI 5.5.2
- ERDAS Imagine 2018
- Google Earth
Whether you are on or off campus, using a PC, Mac or mobile device, you can access UNCW software through Horizon. The complete list of software available through Horizon is on the linked page.
The Horizon client is installed on Randall Library computers.
Many group study rooms have monitors you can connect to and RL 1045 offers multimedia presentation equipment and ample meeting space. Both group study pods near Port City Java are equipped with The Extron TeamWork® 601 (Collaboration station).
You can find descriptions of group study rooms on the Group Study Room Reservations page.
- On the first floor of the library there are over 100 computers, including 12 Macs, 4 Bloomberg terminals and 2 GIS workstations for UNCW student, staff, and faculty use. See what software is available in the Learning Commons .
- Second floor computers have access to the Adobe Creative Cloud.
- There are 6 kiosks around the library for quick browsing.
- Visitors have 4 designated computers for use.
- You can check out laptops from TAC
- TAC has specialized collaboration and video editing computers and software, including the Adobe Creative Cloud.
Disposable, single-use headphones are available at the Library Help Desk.
- E-mail will be set up for new students 5 business days after registration.
- Your student e-mail address is your initials followed by four randomly generated numbers.
- To find your e-mail address, go to UNCW SeaPort at https://myseaport.uncw.edu/ and follow the steps listed under the log in boxes.
- Find more information about IT services at UNCW.
- 4 visitor computers are located on the first floor of the library.
- Visitors must register for a free account at the Library Help Desk.
- The session time limit on these computers is one hour, and visitors are limited to a total of two hours daily.
- These computers have internet access and MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access software. There is no other software available on these computers.
Yes. Just select “seahawkguest” from your wireless connections on your laptop. Read more about IT services for visitors.
For visitors from affiliated institutions, you can select the eduroam network. Use your home institution credentials to login and get internet access, as well as access to library resources. Read more about eduroam access.
Visitor computer users can save materials either by emailing to your personal email account (ex. Yahoo, Gmail, etc.) or by saving to a flash drive (you will need to bring your own). Visitor computers are not equipped with floppy or zip drives and do not allow downloading software.
Connecting to Hawkwifi:
- View available networks on your device and select Hawkwifi.
- Enter your UNCW username and password.
- Accept security certificate, if prompted to do so.
- Domain is UNCW if prompted to enter it.
Connecting to SeahawkGuest:
- View available networks on your device and select SeahawkGuest.
- Open a browser, you will be redirected to the access agreement page.
- If you are not automatically redirected, you can type 188.8.131.52 into the address bar and press enter to reach the agreement page.
- If you agree to abide by the listed conditions, click accept.
- Your connection will be active for 1 hour, bandwidth limited, and unable to access UNCW resources.
- You will have to disconnect, reconnect and re-accept the agreement after the hour expires.
This secure network can be used by visiting faculty, staff and students if their educational institution is a participant. All UNCW faculty, staff and students can securely access the Internet from any other participating educational institution worldwide via the eduroam network.
Visit the myTAC knowledgebase article for Eduroam.