William Madison Randall Library

Buildings & Landmarks: Hewlett Hall
Date Opened: 1978
Abbreviation: HE
Namesake: Addison Hewlett, Jr.
(1912-1989)
Above, Hewlett Hall circa 2004. Below, portrait of Addison Hewlett.

Building History

This residence hall opened for occupancy in 1978 and was appropriately called 'Dorm '78.' This structure shares a common lobby with Graham residence facility. In April 1979, the building was dedicated as Hewlett Hall. It currently houses 200 students.


Namesake

The Honorable Addison Hewlett was a staunch supporter of higher education. A native of Wilmington, Mr. Hewlett was born in the Masonboro Sound area, the seventh generation of his family raised there. He had a life long love of sports and played locally as a 2nd baseman with the Clam Diggers team. He was a veteran of World War II, who carried a small pouch of Masonboro Sound soil with him to Europe. Mr. Hewlett, a graduate of Wake Forest College and Law School, held the position of Town Attorney for Carolina Beach (1951-1976). He served as a member of the State House of Representatives (1951-1959) and as Speaker of the House in 1959. In the 1960s, it was with his persuasion that the State Budget Committee included funding for Wilmington College. Mr. Hewlett was a member of the Wilmington College (1963-1967) and UNCW Board of Trustees (1973-1981), serving as Chairman 1975-1977. He is the first person to receive the Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree from UNCW. Because of his ardent support over the years, Hewlett Hall is named in his honor. Addison Hewlett was, "classified as a man who believes in services for the people, education and efficient organization of government."