Spotlight Image

The Wise House and Kenan House on Market Street are UNCW-owned properties and gifts from the Kenan family. Mr. Kenan is part of UNCW pre-history, since the college did not open until 1947--the year after his first memoir was published.

Mr. Kenan resided in Lockport, New York during most of his adult life. He wrote a series of memoirs (entitled Incidents by the Way: Lifetime Recollections and Reflections). The last one was published in 1958. Mr. Kenan died in 1965.


Wiilliam R. Kenan in 1896, at age 24

Spotlight Image

In 1980, the UNCW Pub hosted UNCW's first annual Seaside Jam in support of Save the Whales.

The Jam, which featured hot musical trends of the time, continued throughout the 1980s and 1990s as a popular Spring event for UNCW students and Wilmington residents. By 1984 the Seaside Jam was held as a part of “Spring Week” on UNCW’s campus, and no longer had a connection to Save the Whales. This transfer, in conjunction with bans on alcohol, moved the Jam from Brooks Field to Trask Coliseum, and lack of funding for entertainers brought about a decline in attendance to the later Seaside Jams.

Seaside Jams in the 1980s and 1990s:Seaside Jam, 1981

Seaside Jam I – April 26, 1980: Featured 3 bands, a helium-filled Sperm Whale, professional Frisbee team, paratroopers, and booths set up by the clubs on campus.

Seaside Jam II – April 25, 1981: Featured musical groups Le Roux, Choice, and the Rob Crosby Group. Female mime duo Mainely Mime, and Dr. John’s World Champion Frisbee Show.

Seaside Jam III – April 24, 1982: Featuring musical guests Sugarcreek, 3PM, and Cirkus.

Seaside Jam IV – April 23, 1983: Featured a Save the Whale Lecture on April 19th by Paul Watson.

Seaside Jam V – April 14, 1984: Musical performances by Sleeper, Gene Cotton, and Tony Carey. 

Seaside Jam VII– Part of “Spring Week” – April 19, 1986: Featured musical guest Inn-O-Vation.

Seaside Jam VIII – Part of “Spring Week”– April 25, 1987: Featured musical guests Cruis-o-matic and Zipper.

Seaside Jam IX– Part of “Spring Week” – April 17, 1988: Featured musical guests Freedom of Expression and Innovation.

Seaside Jam – Part of “Spring Week” – April 26, 1997: Featured South Carolina band Cravin’ Melon, Far Too Jones, and Freemason.

Seaside Jam – April 18, 1998: Featured musical guests George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars.

For more information on the Seaside Jam see articles in the The Seahawk.

3rd Seaside Jam, 1982

Spotlight Image

Left: Chancellor Leutze and Veronica McLaurin-Brown display Brunson House plaque at reception. Reception was held at Kenan House following the dedication of Brunson House.

14 years ago, Chancellor James Leutze dedicated UNCW’s Brunson House, 1700 Princess Street, in honor of Lawrence “Buck” and Hattie Brunson. The house, acquired from the Brunsons' granddaughter Mrs. Veronica McLaurin-Brown in a combination gift-sale, is the first and only university-owned building named for UNCW staff members (not faculty or administrators).

Mr. Lawrence "Buck" BrunsonRight: Mr. Lawrence "Buck" Brunson

Buck and Hattie Brunson were housekeepers at Wilmington College when it was located in the Isaac Bear Building in downtown Wilmington. They moved with the college to the new campus on College Road in 1961. William Wagoner, president/chancellor from 1968-1990, noted how valuable the Brunsons were and that Mrs. Brunson was the first person to unlock the doors of the three new buildings when the campus opened.

Below: Brunson House exterior, UNCW rental properties. Photographed by UNCW / Laura Johnson in 2007.

Brunson House exterior, UNCW rental properties. Photographed by  UNCW / Laura Johnson

The Brunsons witnessed many changes at UNCW. When they began working at Wilmington College, it was not yet integrated. Upon the move to College Road, the college was integrated and began accepting African American students.

According to Mrs. McLaurin-Brown, the Brunsons provided encouragement to all students, including African American students who attended UNCW. There were not many African American students on campus, and those who were there affectionately knew the Brunsons as "Daddy Buck" and "Mama Hattie." Mr. and Mrs. Brunson encouraged their granddaughter to attend UNCW. So proud was her grandfather that he insisted on standing in line with her to pay her first tuition bill.

Mrs. Hattie BrunsonThe house, located a block from the Chancellor's official home (Kenan House), has had extensive renovations. It has been used to host UNCW guests such as visiting faculty.

Mrs. McLaurin-Brown earned her B.A. and M.Ed. degrees from Watson College of Education. Today she is a retired principal from the New Hanover County Schools.

Right: Mrs. Hattie Brunson

Read more:

Campus Communique

UNCW Magazine, Spring/Summer 1999

Resolution honoring the memory of Mrs. Hattie Brunson may be found in the Minutes of the Meeting of the UNCW Board of Trustees, October 11, 1979 and below:

WHEREAS, Mrs. Hattie Foxworth Brunson was a loyal and faithful employee
of Wilmington College and The University of North Carolina at Wilmington; and

WHEREAS, as a member of the staff of both institutions, Hattie Foxworth
Brunson was known and loved by faculty, staff and students alike; and

WHEREAS, Hattie Foxworth Brunson had been an employee of the State of
North Carolina for a total of thirty-one years and ten months; and
whereas, during her of service with the State, Hattie Foxworth
Brunson was a member of the staff of Wilmington College from 1947 to 1969,
and a member of the staff of The University of North Carolina at Wilmington
from July 1, 1969 until her retirement on June 30, 1978;

NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees of The University
of North Carolina at Wilmington expresses its great sorrow in the passing of
Hattie Foxworth Brunson on Wednesday, October 3, 1979; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that a copy of this resolution be communicated to
the widower and family of Hattie Foxworth Brunson.

Spotlight Image

In 1994 the Student Government Association approved an increase in student fees to sponsor a new UNCW Student Recreation Center, causing some controversy because the students funding the project would graduate before its completion. However, with much appreciation to all UNCW students and alumni, the university moved the project forward and construction began in September of 1998.

Photo from the University Archives: Seahawk mascot greets guests inside SRCThe $7.3 million state-of-the-art facility replaced Hanover Hall gym as the Recreation Center on campus, providing 2.5 times the space and countless upgrades. Highlights included a new fitness center, three courts, a 28-foot climbing wall, and an elevated track. The new center also housed administration offices, a training room, and a discovery center. The Rec Center offered 17-hour-a-day access instead of the 7 hours available at the Hanover gym.

The Hundley Education Resource Center moved into the Rec Center featuring interactive health software and a variety of academic classes on living a healthy lifestyle.

UNCW students, staff, faculty, alumni, and other community members joined Chancellor James R. Leutze and Campus Recreation for the opening celebration. The UNCW pep band and dance team performed, and the Seahawk mascot mingled with guests while UNCW students gathered with their scissors for the ribbon cutting.

Read more:

"Plans revealed for student rec center," UNCW Magazine, Spring/Summer 1997

"Student recreation center opens for business," Seahawk student newspaper, April 26, 2000

Spotlight Image

Before March Madness

A year after Coach Bill Brooks’ baseball team took home the national title, the basketball team—also coached by Brooks—opened their campaign for a national championship.


Seahawks beat North Greenville Junior College 93-69 in the final game of a best-of-three series for the Viriginia-Carolinas region title. The team earned the right to advance to the National Junior College Basketball Championship in Hutchinson, Kan.

This win gave Wilmington a 20-4 season record with no losses to a junior college squad.


Accustomed to playing in Brogden Hall at New Hanover High School, the 10-man squad and Coach Brooks boarded a Piedmont Airlines flight for Hutchinson, Kan. and its large arena.1963 Seahawk basketball team


The Wilmington College Seahawks lost to Trinidad (Colo.) in the final seconds of the opening game (73-72). As the teams were not seeded, Wilmington moved on to the consolation bracket.


Wilmington College Seahawks crushed Weber College Wildcats from Ogden, UT in the second game (78-65).


Bethany Lutheran Junior College from Mankato, MN eliminated Wilmington College from the Tournament, 85-67.

Gene “Bogie” Bogash was named to the National Junior College All-American team after the 1962 tournament. He was ranked 7th in the nation for Junior Colleges.



A Shot at Redemption

Gene "Bogie" Bogash - Wilmington College Basketball All-Star and 1963 NJCC Player of the YearWilmington College headed to the National Jr. College Championships for a second time in 1963.

To qualify for the tournament, the Seahawks defeated Roanoke, VA and Brevard for the regional title.


Wilmington College defeated Broome (Binghamton, NY) 83-79 in a double-elimination round.


The Wilmington Morning Star newspaper reported that the Seahawks finished sixth in a field of 17 teams in the tournament. They were billed as the “Cardiac Kids” for providing the most excitement of any team in the tournament.


  • Leading scorer and rebounder, Gene Bogash, was named Junior College Basketball Player of the Year.
  • Bogash drew a standing ovation from the crowd of 9,000.
  • All the games were close. The team played one triple overtime game and two single overtime games.
  • The team’s last four games were played in a span of 56 hours.
  • The entire squad totaled nine players, at least four of whom were on baseball scholarships. The baseball team’s first home game was scheduled for March 26, the same day basketball team returned to Wilmington from Kansas by car.

Hawks Head to Kansas, Seahawk Newspaper Online Archive, March 15, 1962

 Click the article to read more about the 1962 team in the Seahawk Online Archive.




"A tribute to our basketball team," March 15, 1963, Seahawk student newspaper

Click the picture to read more about the 1963 team in the Seahawk Online Archive.