UNCW Faculty, Staff & Trustees
How to borrow materials
Currently employed faculty, staff, and trustees of the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, may borrow materials from the collections upon presentation of a valid UNCW OneCard.
We ask that you observe the following regulations:
1. Present the UNCW OneCard at the Circulation Desk with the items that you wish to borrow.
2. Faculty and staff borrowing privileges are not transferable, with two exceptions.
- Faculty may authorize a research assistant to check out materials for them. Contact the Circulation Desk to set up the authorization in the library's patron database. By authorizing this assistant, the faculty member assumes responsibility for the return of all materials and the payment of any charges assessed for damage. To check out materials to a faculty member's account, the authorized research assistant must present the faculty member's UNCW OneCard as well as their own UNCW identification card.
- Faculty and staff may add their high-school children enrolled in grades 9-12 as authorized users. Contact the Circulation Desk to add this authorization to the library's patron database. By sponsoring their child, the parent or guardian assumes responsibility for the return of all materials and the payment of any charges assessed for damage. To check out materials, the high school student should present their parent's or guardian's UNCW OneCard and their high school identification card or driver's license.
3. Faculty and staff are responsible for each item borrowed on his/her card until the material is returned to the Library and lost or damaged materials must be paid for.
4. There is no limit on the number of books that may be checked out from the General Collection, Featured New Books, Videos, Music or Audiobooks.
- For general collection materials and government documents the loan period extends to the first day of exams each semester or second summer session.
- Books from the juvenile collection circulate for twenty eight (28) days.
- Books from the featured new books collection circulate for twenty one (21) days.
- Journals circulate for two (2) days
- DVDs, CDs, VHS, and audio books for seven (7) days.
- Items on reserve may be borrowed for periods specified by that course's instructor.
- Reference materials should be used in the Library; however, faculty and staff may borrow some items for a negotiated period (please check with the reference librarian on duty).
You may renew overdue materials online (access My Library Record,) by phone (910-962-3272), or in-person. Renewals will be granted unless another person has placed a hold (request) on an item.
A/V Renewals: Renewals for videos, DVD's, CDs and audiobooks are limited to two (2) per item.
Featured New Books: Renewals for this collection are limited to one (1).
Borrowed items are subject to recall when requested by another use and a revised due date will be set. As a courtesy to other library users, please return recalled items as soon as possible. If you will need the recalled item after another user returns it, library Circulation staff can place a hold on that item.
If items are not renewed or returned by the due date, replacement costs will be issued for items that are at least 14 days overdue. The bill will include the replacement cost and a $15 non-refundable overdue fee per item. If items are returned to the Library within two months after a bill has been issued, a waiver of the replacement charge(s) may be requested but the non-refundable fee(s) will not be waived.
UNCW faculty and staff may have their borrowing privileges blocked when:
- Their debt for Randall Library materials exceeds $100.00
- Their debt for borrowing from UNC system libraries or interlibrary loan transactions exceeds $50.00.
Payment of Charges
Payment may be made by check, cash (exact change only) or with Visa or MasterCard at the Circulation Desk unless the debt has been transferred to the Cashier's Office. Checks should be made out to UNCW.
Questions about this policy may be addressed to rlcirculation [at] uncw.edu.