Please note that all library IL instruction and tours for 2020-2021 will be virtual/remote - please refer to the options above and contact your liaison librarian with questions. The Library's Digital Makerspace is also providing instruction upon request.
What is “Information Literacy” (IL)?
Information literacy (IL) is defined as the competencies an individual summons in order to locate, retrieve, evaluate, select, and use information sources.Source That means more than just research skills! Information literate citizens examine the socio-cultural production of information and knowledge, and they approach all information production and consumption in a critical manner.
The sheer abundance of information will not in itself create a more informed citizenry without a complementary cluster of abilities necessary to use information effectively. Information literacy forms the basis for lifelong learning. It is common to all disciplines, to all learning environments, and to all levels of education. It enables learners to master content and extend their investigations, become more self-directed, and assume greater control over their own learning. - American Library Association
- Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education
- AACU Information Literacy VALUE Rubric
- Project Information Literacy
Information Literacy at UNCW
Information literacy is a required competency in UNCW's University Studies program (six credit hours) and is one of eight university Learning Goals.
Information Literacy & Your Course
- Use the Library Effectively in Your Class - Find tips and sample assignments
- Teaching Media Literacy, "Fake News," and Disinformation - Find tips and open access educational resources
- Work With Your Liaison Librarian - Contact or book an appointment
- Learn more through the IL Faculty Fellows Program - Apply for our annual Spring immersive program
Review Information for Instructors of...
Asynchronous Virtual Resources
- Online Tutorials - Videos, embedable Canvas modules, and more.
- Subject & Course Guides - Topical pages that connect your students to the best resources.
- Virtual Library Tour - Explore the library resources and services.
- Get Started Researching Tool - A step-by-step research guide for your students.
- Research Strategy Tool - A tool to help your students develop complex database searches.
- Assignment Calculator - A tool to help your students plan their projects.