Instructional Services at Randall Library gives faculty, staff, and students the opportunity to learn about using the library's resources and gain important information literacy skills. We provide instruction for classes as well as individuals.
What is “Information literacy”?
The sheer abundance of information will not in itself create a more informed citizenry without a complementary cluster of abilities necessary to use information effectively. Information literacy forms the basis for lifelong learning. It is common to all disciplines, to all learning environments, and to all levels of education. It enables learners to master content and extend their investigations, become more self-directed, and assume greater control over their own learning. - American Library Association
- Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education
- American Association of College & Universities Information Literacy VALUE Rubric
- ACRL Visual Literacy
- Project Information Literacy
Information literacy at UNCW
Information literacy is a required competency in UNCW's University Studies program (six credit hours) and is a one of eight university Learning Goals.
- University Studies - Information Literacy Description and Learning Outcomes
- University Learning Goals - Information Literacy
Utilize Virtual Library Instruction In Your Class
On-Request Virtual Information Literacy Options
- Instruction - Asynchronous
- Instruction - Synchronous
- Usually over Zoom
- Can be a “traditional” 50-75 minute class length or a series of shorter topical sessions
- Can be recorded for absent students
- Student research support - Asynchronous
- Canvas inbox messaging
- Canvas discussion board(s)
- Student research support - Synchronous
- Office hours (usually via Zoom)
- Virtual appointments (make an appointment online)
- Instructor teaching support
- Collaborating on research assignment development
- Assisting with stable links to library resources (ebooks, databases, articles, etc.)
- Providing feedback/comments on student work, such as drafts.
Request a Librarian-led Instruction Session
Please note that all library instruction and tours for Fall 2020 will be virtual/remote. Please refer to the options above and contact your liaison librarian with questions.
Incorporate Information Literacy Into Your Class