Monetary donations (including memorials) are gratefully accepted for enhancing the delivery of library services. The Library has in the past used gift funds for purchases of materials for the collection including equipment, supplies, and art works. Specific titles or items to be purchased with donated funds will be coordinated by the University Librarian. All monetary donations will be received by the University Librarian for appropriate handling, recorded through the office of University Advancement and acknowledged by the Library. You can give online directly through University Advancement by selecting "Library" for the gift designation.
Donations of Books and Other Materials (In Kind)
- Randall Library accepts limited donations of books and other materials if they support the current teaching and research of UNCW and fit within the Collection Development Policy of Randall Library. In general resources should be published within the last 20 years and not duplicate content already owned by the library. Subject needs and guidelines will also apply. Materials in poor physical condition, outdated textbooks, most popular magazines, and most obsolete formats (cassettes, LPs, VHS, etc.) are not accepted.
- The Library will assume authority to discard, sell, or exchange all titles deemed inappropriate for addition to the collection. Items that are not added to the collection will not be returned to the donor.
- The Library will determine how and where all added gift materials will be cataloged and housed for use.
- The donor must deliver all donated books and materials to the library loading dock entrance by appointment during regular business hours. Other options are available for materials delivered between UNCW departments. Donations of a few items may be brought to the circulation desk of the Library.
- The Library cannot provide any pick-up, packing or shipping support.
- The Library needs a completed Donor Record Form at the time of donation.
- For Special Collections and/or Archives materials please contact the Center for Southeast North Carolina Archives and History directly.
Acknowledgement of Donations
Each donation, monetary and otherwise, will be acknowledged by the Library after the donation has been received. The Library will donate a tree in the Leadership Grove on the UNCW campus to thank donors who have contributed materials valued at more than $10,000. Other special acknowledgements of donor generosity may be offered or requested depending on size of gift and type of material, such as room naming opportunities, plaques, bookplates, special collections, and receptions.
The Library does not have the authority to make financial appraisals of donated materials. The The Appraisers Association of America is a good place to start (accessed January 7, 2015) for additional information about appraisals.
Questions about this policy should be addressed to Jeanne Cross, crossj [at] uncw [dot] edu, 910-962-2271.