Randall Library is a public facility and welcomes high school students to use its information resources in the building during its extensive hours of operation. Note that access between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. is RESTRICTED to UNCW Students, Faculty and Staff ONLY.
High school students enrolled in grades 9-12, with sponsorship of a parent or legal guardian may have up to four (4) items checked out at a time from the following collections:
- General Collection
- Oversize Collection
- U.S.. Documents (with some exceptions for items marked "Library Use Only")
- N.C.. Documents (with some exceptions for items marked "Library Use Only")
Terms of this sponsorship are described below:
Parent or Legal Guardian Sponsorship
Parents or legal guardians with the following UNCW library patron status may sponsor borrowing privileges for their children enrolled in grades 9-12:
- UNCW Faculty, Staff and Trustees
- UNCW Students
- UNCW Alumni
- North Carolina Adult Residents
Parents or legal guardian without UNCW library patron status may sponsor borrowing privileges for their children enrolled in grades 9-12 by purchasing a High School student borrowers card for $7.00, renewable annually as long as the student is in High School.
By sponsoring their child, the parent or legal guardian assumes responsibility for the return of all materials and the payment of any charges assessed for damage or over dues. All Library notices, including fine and fee notices, will be emailed to the parent or legal guardian of the student as listed on the Parental Authorization for High School Students form.
The parent or legal guardian must submit the completed Parental Authorization for High School Students form at the Randall Library Circulation Desk and the student must present their current High School ID card in order for checkout privileges to begin. Any applicable payment must be made at the same time. High School students will be issued a borrower's card in their name which, in addition to the High School ID card must be presented at the Circulation Desk to borrow materials. Privileges may be renewed annually as long as the student is in High School.
- High School students may borrow books from the general collection and government documents for 28 days. Other materials must be used in the library.
Overdue, Damage, and Replacement Charges
- If items are not renewed or returned by the due date, replacement costs will be issued for items that are at least 14 days overdue. The bill will include the replacement cost and a $15 non-refundable overdue fee per item. If items are returned to the Library within two months after a bill has been issued, a waiver of the replacement charge(s) may be requested but the non-refundable fee(s) will not be waived.
High School students authorized to use the Library are subject to all policies and regulations of the Library. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in revocation of checkout and use privileges.
High School students ae not eligible for student computer use, laptop checkout nor for remote access to licensed resources.